Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Fixing my ergonomic workspace by Author Jessica E. Subject

 


FIXING MY ERGONOMIC WORKSPACE
by Author Jessica E. Subject

Lately I've been experiencing a lot of shoulder pain. After visiting my physiotherapist, I've learned most of the pain radiates from my trapezoid muscles. I believe it's due to many reasons, including the way I sleep, overuse with some duties, my desk setup, and more. I'm trying to do what I can to remedy most of these situations. I no longer sleep on my side, but on my back with a cervical pillow to support my neck. I've retired from some of my other duties. I try to hold my phone up higher when I'm scrolling, reading, or watching on it. And I've bought a headset with a mic to transcribe my stories into a Word document from my notebooks. There's a learning curve to that, but I've been able to do it without having to buy any new software.


Ergonomics involves altering your workspace to provide maximum comfort, thus increasing your productivity and efficiency.

Rearranging my work station to make it even more ergonomic is my current project. I have an ergonomic keyboard and mouse. They have helped, but having them separate has been an issue. I need them both in the same spot, which means moving one to use the other. To solve this situation, I've ordered an ergonomic keyboard with a built-in roller ball. No more moving one to use the other, as they'll both be in the same spot. And I can switch back and forth to use the mouse with both hands instead of only my right. 

The next step is training myself to sit properly. I have a good chair with back support. But, if I forget to put on my glasses, I'm often leaning forward to see the screen. So, I have to remind myself to wear my glasses and sit up straight.

Ergonomics is also about having things you use at the right level in order to minimize discomfort. The exact level is different for everyone, since we are all different sizes, but I found this guide on depositphotos that shows how you can find the right level for you.


This is what I'm doing as I work on the first book in a new (spinoff) series. Hopefully I will have an update on that project soon!

Wishing you many great books to read!


10 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Great reminder! I had a great All-in-One computer with a huge screen set up at the perfect height with a keyboard on a lower tray . . . until it died on me. Since then, I've been using my lap top which means always looking down. I've had to limit my keyboard time and take breaks to stretch. Or, as I was reminded, I can use my laptop monitor and hook up a separate keyboard on a lower pull out tray. And take stretch breaks that revolve around more coffee and liquids.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Nancy ~ Yes, sometimes it's a pain to set it all up so that the space is more ergonomic, but it's worth it overall. And breaks are always a good thing!!

Catherine Peace said...

I am very excited at the prospect of getting my own office where I can have this kind of setup. In the meantime, I'll be working on my posture:) thanks!

Maureen said...

I hope that helps! I changed my chair and set up of my computer a few years ago for similar reasons. I still need to get a better keyboard, and try dictation, but I keep putting both off due to the learning curve.

Diane Burton said...

Very helpful post. I use my laptop and, like Nancy said, I'm looking down all the time. I can feel it in my neck. Not good. I need to try a different set up.

Melisse said...

Great idea! I worked a day job on computers for years and know how ergonomics keeps pain away!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Catherine ~ Yes, posture seems like such a simple concept, but I have to constantly remind myself to not slouch. I hope you get your own workspace soon!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Maureen! A new keyboard and learning to dictate come with time, but they're worth it to reduce strain and pain.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Diane! Sometimes it's as simple as using a basket or some other object to prop it up. But raising the screen also means raising the keyboard.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Melisse! It's an important concept so that we can all keep doing this in the future.