Wednesday, June 7, 2023

It's the End of the World! Post Apocalypse Recommendations by author Jessica E. Subject

 


Lately, I have been reading books and watching shows and movies that are set in a post-apocalypse world. I have enjoyed these stories for a long time, and have always been thankful that I do not currently live in a world like these, as I don't think I would survive. I would be the character who dies early on from helping another person or animal to survive. That's just who I am. 

I also recognize that many people have lived, or are currently living in apocalyptic situations we only read about or watch in fiction. Their worlds have been changed forever due to colonization, racism, war, famine, industrial pollution, climate change, homophobia, transphobia, along with many other factors.


In the book I recently finished and loved, the apocalypse is caused by a virus, set loose by a cult to bring about the end of the world, that turns people into unspeakable monsters. HELL FOLLOWED WITH US by Andrew Joseph White is told from the points of view of a teenage trans boy and a young autistic man. It was a fabulous read, and I highly recommend it!


The book I'm currently reading, AT THE END OF EVERYTHING by Marieke Nijkamp, a respiratory virus is spreading throughout several US states, and in its wake, authorities abandon a group of teens at a juvenile treatment center. The story is told from the points of view of several of the teens throughout their realization that they were abandoned, and their struggle to survive. I'm really enjoying this one as well! And I love the diversity of the points of view!


When it comes to movies and television, the series that I recently streamed and HIGHLY RECOMMEND is BLACK KNIGHT. As soon as I saw the preview for this, I knew I had to watch it. A comet has hit the Earth, and killed many people. On the Korean peninsula, only 1% of the population has survived, but air pollution is still a huge problem. The series focuses on 5-8, part of an elite delivery service that battles rough terrain and pirates while delivering food, oxygen, and other supplies to the districts of container houses.I really, really loved this six-episode show!!


I've also recently watched RESIDENT EVIL, the 8-episode series based on the video game about a zombie virus. It goes back and forth in time between Jade and Billie first arriving in New Raccoon City, to several years in the future. This was a great series, and while I'm not good at playing video games, it did prompt me to watch the movies.

And I just finished streaming both seasons of BLACK SUMMER earlier this week. It's another zombie apocalypse show, and goes back and forth between characters, some of which make it to the end of the episode, and others who don't. I'm not sure what I thought of this show, but I couldn't stop watching it. LOL


I have a zombie apocalypse romance story, and a dystopian romance series of my own. In all of them, the characters are struggling to survive and to love who they want.


IT TOOK A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE

Home for the summer, RJ heads to the annual fun fair to see if his hot neighbor has also returned from university. When he spots her at the kissing booth, he can’t believe his luck. But even though she never spewed racial slurs at him like the rest of the community, will she grant him a kiss?

Missy is tired of the blatant prejudice she’s seen all her life. If not for her brother’s plea for help, she never would have returned to the small town of West Vitula. When the guy she’s had a crush on since grade school asks for a kiss, she knows it will piss off her parents and leave the entire town talking.

After one kiss, RJ wants another, but a sudden zombie outbreak puts him and Missy on the run. To stay alive, they must learn who they can trust. And even if they can trust each other.

UNIVERSAL BUY LINK


THE COMPLETE UNDERGROUND SERIES

In the future…

The corporation Planet Core holds all of the power. They place restrictions on the lives of those living within their boundaries, including who they can love. And there is no escape.

Deception runs deep…

The rebel group, calling themselves The Underground, is disputing the corporation’s leadership. With the desire for freedom, they will fight.

And betrayal can come from anyone…

Will the rebels defeat Planet Core, or end up fighting for their lives?

Includes: Never Gonna Let You Go, Never Gonna Desert You, and Never Gonna Say Goodbye

UNIVERSAL BUY LINK


Do you have any post-apocalypse book, movie, or television show recommendations for me?




10 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

I was a hold out on Zombie movies until three in particular swayed me: Shawn of the Dead (a deliciously dark British comedy), 28 Weeks Later (Jeremy Renner!) and Zombieland (also a dark comedy). The Resident Evil series on TV had great potential but wasn't long lived (snort!). World War Z was also very good. I can't watch a slasher movie after my oldest sister took me to see Last House of the Left when I was in middle school and I had to go home to an empty house while parents were vacaying. It was the first slasher film. NOT a fan!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Nancy, I've watched Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, and World War Z. I'll have to check out 28 Weeks Later though. I just watched Patient Zero with Matt Smith, but was disappointed with the ending. My favorite zombie movie remains Train to Busan. For me, nothing beats that one. And like you, I'm not one for slasher films. I can handle zombies, but not those.

Nightingale said...

Nancy, I also saw Last House on the Left at about the same time. Like Psycho, I have never forgotten it. I don't like slasher movies either & that film may be the source of my later dislike.

Jessica, thanks for the list. I like post-apocalyptic but can't do zombies. I'm too squeamish about the dead. I also have written a post-apocalyptic book. It was called Gylded Wings, but I just reclaimed my rights at the end of the contract, and it should no longer be available. I'm going to do a quick polish and send to my new publisher.

Diane Burton said...

I'm not one for post-apocalyptic shows, and definitely not slasher movies. Yet, I loved the Hunger Games series--books and movies. I found The Book of Eli intriguing. But that's about it. I don't like dark and gloomy stories. I want hope at the end.

Maureen said...

I've watched some of the movies mentioned (Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead, Resident Evil etc) and have read a few books but if it's a longer series I can't always stay engaged in that genre.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh Linda, I need to know when Gylded Wings is available again!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Diane, the ones I watch/read do have hope at the end, but there is a lot of darkness and gloom to get there. The Hunger Games series was really good! If you like that, you might also like the Maze Runner series. It's in book and film, too.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Maureen, I agree. If the director/author drags the story over many episodes or books, I get bored with it. Except Black Summer, the ones I mentioned above are pretty short and have great pacing.

Tena Stetler said...

I'm not one for post-apocalyptic shows, and definitely not slasher movies. Unfortunately those give me nightmares. Then I have to leave the lights on all night, and with utilities the way they are, can't afford it. I did enjoy the post of the things I am missing. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thanks Tena! I have had a couple zombie nightmares that I still haven't forgotten. And no, you definitely don't want to be spending more money on utilities than you have to.