Saturday, June 10, 2023

Stellar Romance: SciFi Love on the Big Screen by Keri Kruspe

 


As I grew into teenagehood, (is that even a word?) I had an older cousin who introduced me to the exciting world of science fiction novels. She encouraged me to read the classics: Heinlein, Asimov, as well as Herbert. I devoured those books, and hungered for more until I reached my early twenties. By then, I found a new love.

Romance novels.

Jude Deaveraux, Julie Garwood and my all-time favorite, Kathleen E. Woodwiss. For the next couple of decades, that was the only genre I’d read. Until Paranormal romance came out. Then I discovered Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Amanda Ashley.



It never occurred to me that anyone would ever combine my first love with my second. Even though some of the old-timies (H.G. Wells’s The Time Machine is a perfect example) of blending romance with science fiction. But the underlying opinion in the science fiction world is the two genres are completely different. After all, science fiction is more about logic (no offense, Mr. Spock) and contain a variety of futuristic concepts about space, time travel, aliens, or time-traveling aliens in space. These stories seemed to be too complex and rich in detail and didn’t have time for something as mushy as romance. Folks immersed in the genre argue their favorite type of entertainment can’t possibly have anything in common with a trashy romance novel. They pooh-pooh the mere idea of reading any SciFi romance book because they’d never lower themselves to do such a thing.

Humph. I’m here to tell you they do it all the time. To outline my argument, instead of books, I’ll look at some of the most popular science fiction movies since they’ve been seen more than any book read in recent years. And all of them contain a formidable romantic theme.

Avatar (2009)

James Cameron's Avatar is a groundbreaking science fiction movie that tells the story of a paraplegic marine, Jake Sully, who travels to the planet Pandora to explore its rich natural resources. There, he meets and falls in love with Neytiri, a Na'vi princess, and becomes embroiled in a battle between the humans and the Na'vi.

While the movie is primarily known for its stunning visual effects and action sequences, you’ve got to admit the romantic thread between Jake and Neytiri adds an emotional depth to the story and makes it more compelling than without it. Avatar grossed over $2.7 billion at the box office, making it one of the highest-grossing movies of all time.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is the second installment in the Hunger Games franchise, based on the popular book series by Suzanne Collins. The movie follows Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark as they are forced to compete in the Quarter Quell, a special edition of the Hunger Games that brings together past champions.

While the movie focuses primarily on the action and political intrigue of the games, it also explores the romantic relationship between Katniss and Peeta. With is a huge motivator on what drives each of the characters. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire grossed over $865 million at the box office.

The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)

Based on the novel by Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife tells the story of Henry DeTamble, a time traveler, and his wife Clare Abshire. The movie explores the challenges of maintaining a relationship while one partner constantly moves through time.

Watching how these two maintain their relationship is what drives this captivating story. A lot of movie goers must think so as well, it grossed over $101 million.

The Fifth Element (1997)

OMG – one of my favorite movies EVER! Had to include it…

Luc Besson's The Fifth Element is a visually incredible science fiction movie where a young woman named Leeloo is the only hope for saving humanity from an evil force that threatens to destroy the world. The movie is filled with action, humor, and a whole host of colorful characters. But at its heart, it is a love story between Leeloo and the hero of the movie, Korben Dallas.

And what would this move be without the romantic thread between Leeloo and Korben? Boring, that’s what. The Fifth Element grossed over $264 million at the box office.


The Adjustment Bureau (2011)

I love a movie that keeps me guessing and The Adjustment Bureau did that for me. While the theme of this move explores the concept of free will and destiny, the romantic underlay is the story's foundation. Here we have a politician named David Norris who falls in love with a dancer named Elise Sellas. David and Elise soon find that their relationship is threatened by a mysterious organization that controls the fate of all humans.

While the science fiction elements might be intriguing, it’s the relationship between David and Elise that drives the movie. Lots of folks agree since it grossed over $127 million at the box office.

And last…. But never least…

Star Wars (1977)

(Just so you know, when this movie first came out, it wasn’t called “A New Hope”)

Now I ask you, what would this freakin’ huge spic space opera be without the hint of a romance between Leia and Luke/Han in the first installment? 

And That's a Wrap!

The genre of SciFi Romance novels hasn’t exploded like I would have anticipated in the last few years even though science fiction movies with a romantic thread have been highly successful. Which is odd since these types of stories appeal to both our emotions and our fascination with futuristic worlds and technologies.

Even so, let’s recognize it's the emotional connection between the characters that make any story truly memorable. And, as we saw with the addition of the romantic thread in these movies, we realize romance gives them an added layer of depth that allows the audience to connect on a more personal level they wouldn’t normally have without it.

But I’m hopeful. As us authors continue to explore new science fiction stories with a romantic thread, we’ll do our best to captivate our audiences so our stories will stand the test of time. Just as these movies remind us, no matter how advanced our world becomes, love and human connections will always be at the heart of what makes us human.

Even in space.




1 comment:

Nancy Gideon said...

No romance in Sci-Fi?! Pffft. You've sited some fantastic examples. The best SciFi has always been about that tenuous balance between science and emotion (hello, Mr. Spock!). We can . . . but should we? I started reading Heinlein and Asimov as a pre-teen (the librarians and my teachers discouraged it as being too OLD for me but I guess I'm just an old soul!) My mom always said if I could reach it on the Bookmobile shelves I could read and I was tall for my age. I didn't have any interest in love stories other than Regencies until THE FLAME AND THE FLOWER. WOW! Were my eyes opened! To me romance is an intimate arrangement between reader and the pages and SciFi is Big Screen all the way.