Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Tips from a Newbie by Guest @MiaJoCeleste



Tips from a Just-Published New Author
by
Mia Jo Celeste

When I was pregnant with my first son, my friend, a new mom herself, kept saying, “You have no idea what you’re in for.”
I was a little offended. As a teacher and a former nanny and babysitter, I thought I did. But when my son arrived, and I was responsible for him twenty-four-seven, I began to think my friend was right—the experience was totally new. In January, my first release Other Than came out, and again, my friend’s words rang in my head—you have no idea.
Being newly published is both exhilarating and scary. There were and probably still is a lot I’ve yet to learn about marketing books, but here are five helpful tips I’d like to pass along.
First, preparation is important. Read articles and study what other writers say about reaching readers. Ask authors you know for advice. Consider writing blog or Facebook posts in advance. Line up places where you might post. Get some early reviews.
Second, cut yourself some slack. Remember that humans learn by trial and error. Mistakes are part of the process. Inevitably, you’ll slip up or miss something. It’s okay.
Third, start working on your next novel. If you’re like me, writing is the fun part. My favorite stories are always the ones I’m currently working on.
Fourth, don’t be afraid to ask for help. So far, I’ve gotten a lot of advice and assistance from friends and strangers, as well as from experts and novices. I bet your experience will be the same.
Fifth, give yourself time. Embrace the newness. Know that tasks you’ve never done before will take longer. Let them. Schedule that in and while you’re at it consider adding extra minutes, so you can pause in wonder when it all comes together.
I’m guessing most of this post’s readers are authors. Please pipe in, share something you learned about the publishing process or something that surprised you in the comments.


As I said before, my novel just came out. OTHER THAN, a Gaslamp Fantasy/ Paranormal Historical Romance is only weeks old and I’d love to share its blurb and an excerpt with you.


Blurb:
It only takes one drink from the Water of Immortality to kill Evie Woods—halfway. Trapped in undead flesh, the world’s last skin-slider wakens on an island purgatory where a cursed spring bubbles with immortality, and zombie cannibals crave living flesh.
Her only hope of escape rests in the hands of the one man who would see her fail. Bound to her by cords stronger than death, Lord Victor Lowell is both the man of her dreams, and her darkest nightmares. Contrary and intractable, Victor preys on others to maintain his angelic charisma and preternatural prowess. Drawn to the compellingly gallant and vulnerable soul behind his mercurial humors, Evie can only watch as protecting her forces Victor to sacrifice yet more of himself to the ancient evil long tethered to his soul.
Trapped in an ever-escalating war they can’t stop, Victor and Evie fight time for a cure, but as the long days pass blackness tears at Evie, ripping her thoughts from her one memory at a time. Victor will to do whatever it takes to prevent her from deteriorating into a rotting husk, even if it means dooming himself, but Evie won’t surrender his soul without a fight. Battle lines drawn, the soul mates resolve to find redemption or die trying.

Excerpt

He materialized in the inky shadow.

Or rather his apparition did. His ghostly frame hovered before her, sinuous and lithe. Against his shadowed form, the string glimmered like liquid silver. Slowly he unwrapped her, tossing the spectral bands to the floor until a coil lay between him and her.
Something inside her chest fluttered. “You followed me.”
An accusation.
He nodded. With a slight shrug, he spread his hands. “You shouldn’t be alone.”
She wanted to turn, giving him her back, but her betraying gaze remained fixated upon him. When he paced around her, she waved him away. “Don’t.”
He caught her hand and placed an insubstantial kiss in her palm. “Let me help you…please.”
A gallant gesture, perhaps, but her skin-slider sensitivity noted the rigidity of his stance, the twitch along his jaw, and the slight narrowing of his eyes. How could he think of helping her when he was in so much pain?
Ordinarily, she might be grateful. Might…if loss hadn’t hollowed her.
She ripped her cooling flesh from his spectral arms. “I don’t deserve kindness.”
“Good.” He gave her a rakish smirk. “Because I’m not kind.”
She shook her head, biting back the emerging smile that had no place on her countenance. She couldn’t be civil, couldn’t risk the involvement. “I can’t go on like this—stuck betwixt life and death.”
“You must. Don’t you see, sweet dove? You’re beyond both. You’re immortal. Like me.”

If you’re interested in getting a copy of Other Than you can find it at these places.

Mia Jo Celeste comes from a family of writers and English teachers, so it was no surprise when she chose to pursue both careers. She grew up watching horror movies and reading romances. To her, the two genres go together like salty and sweet in kettle corn. If you’d like to contact Mia Jo, you can find her at these places.


In addition, I’d be honored if you’d like to review a copy. Feel free to contact me miaATmiacelesteDOTcom if you’re interested. Thanks.



6 comments:

Mia Celeste said...

Thank you for having me as your guest. I'm excited to talk about Other Than's release and my experiences.

J Hali Steele said...

Welcome Mia, thank for sharing your experiences and Other Than sounds wonderful! Good luck and enjoy each and every step you take into the world of writing.

Mia Celeste said...

Thanks J Hali,
I appreciate your interest and well wishes.

CJ Burright said...

Hi, Mia *waves wildly*! Those are some great tips, especially giving yourself some slack. I'd add that to any release, new or not. It's a lot to do and take in, and it's so easy to get stressed about everything. Both being a writer and being a mom are challenging and just as rewarding, right? Thanks for being here!

Mia Celeste said...

Grin. Being a mom and anything else is challenging. :) Thank goodness I have great writing friends like you.

Diane Burton said...

Welcome and best wishes, Mia.