Monday, June 7, 2021

Take Me to the Water! Why ponds, rivers, and lakes are in my books lately. Post by Jessica E. Subject


For as long as I can remember, I have always sought out water when I'm feeling stressed or upset, or simply to relax. When I was little, I used to head down the street to the creek and catch tadpoles, or wait for the muskrat to make an appearance. Whenever visiting my grandparents, I'd always go to the lakes near their houses. As a teen, my high school was right next to the river that runs through the city. And as I got older, I'd go to lakes, old gravel pits, wildlife conservation areas, and waterfalls to be near the water. Family vacation spots had to include water, whether for fishing, swimming, or simply relaxing near.

 

Since mid-March of 2020, I haven't left the city due to the pandemic. I go for long walks with my daughter, but only to cross the river rather than to walk the paths around it. I miss the water.

Subconsciously, I've been including water in my stories to make up for what I'm missing in real life.

In VAWN (Kaddim Brothers #1, coming soon from Decadent Publishing,) Vawn sits on the edge of a pond with his feet in the water after an argument with his older brothers.

In MEMORIES OF US (Shifter Towers #6 that will be part of an MPreg anthology,) Envi invites Hayden to spend the day with him up at Traverse Pond in an attempt to rekindle the relationship they once had.

I already told my husband that when he has his vacation time this summer, I want to go to the water, whether a lake, waterfall, or just a pond. It doesn't matter to me. I simply need to go to the water.

Is there a place like that for you?



9 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

We vacationed every year while I was growing up at our cottage in Northern Michigan and spent every waking, non-eating moment at the lake nearby. Just the sound of waves and scent of the water to this day calms my soul. I'll be going on a Writers' Retreat week within walking distance to Lake Michigan in July and can not wait to breathe in the scent and sounds of it. Sigh! Both invigorating and healing.

Diane Burton said...

We live close to Lake Michigan. I totally agree about the effect of water on the soul. So calming, relaxing. I'm not a sun worshipper, but either sitting in the car in the winter or under an umbrella in the summer, the lake gives me what I need. Covid curtained some of our time at the lake. So I know what you mean. I've read that people need either water or mountains. I used to think mountains were my thing--until I moved close to water. That's cool about including water in your stories to make up for missing it.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Nancy - That sounds like a wonderful retreat! I hope you have a fabulous time!

Diane - You're lucky to live so close to the lake! I'm not a sun worshipper, either. I could never lie on the beach and do nothing. We were either playing in the water, fishing, or walking along it. With the waterfalls, we get to climb along the water, so water and mountains at the same time. They are definitely my favorite place to be.

Maureen said...

We only have some creeks nearby- but I love seeing them on our walks. It is so relaxing. I'd love to live near the water, or on a beach- but also, can't take the heat, so a nice lake might be a good compromise.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Maureen - I agree. A lake would be nice, with a bunch of trees around for shade, especially today when it's so hot here.

Nightingale said...

I love the water, too. I've always wanted to live by the see (like Annabel Lee haha), but haven't made it yet. Are you Pisces by chance? I'm not, but I've signed up for a mountain drive called Chasing the Waterfalls during a weeklong car event in a nearby city. Enjoyed your post, Jessica. See you by the water one day, maybe!

Tena Stetler said...

Yep Loved the water! Whether it's kayaking, swimming or boating, it relaxes me. The mountains have the same affect on me and are found in many of my books too. Great post, thanks for sharing!

Mary Morgan said...

It's either the woods, stream, or the ocean for me, Jessica. We're planning a day-trip to a nearby beach. It was stressful when they closed so many beaches here in California. Enjoyed your post!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Linda - No, not a Pisces. My mom is, but she doesn't like the water. LOL That sounds like a fabulous tour! I hope you enjoy it!

Tena - I get it. It's more than simply getting outside. Mountains and water give off a different vibe.

Mary - Oh, I hope you enjoy your time at the beach! A lot of our beaches and provincial parks were closed as well. Things are just starting to open up. I think overnight camping is now allowed, though I don't camp. LOL