Thursday, July 15, 2021

 The Lake House

I’m writing this from my uncle's nineteenth-century house on Sand Lake in the beautiful Irish Hills of Michigan. I’m here celebrating the release of Sundae My Love, part of the Wild Rose Press Two Scoops or One anthology.

When I decided to set the story here on the lake, I had to include the house and it’s ghostly inhabitants. No one has actually seen our spectral friends, but we’ve all heard doors slam, footsteps going up and down the stairs, along with numerous creaks, bumps, squeaks, and thumps. 



I know there are those who think we’re all imagining this, including my disbelieving husband. That was until one night, while alone reading on the couch, he said there was so much commotion coming from the kitchen, he had to take a look. He saw nothing, but he’s no longer such a skeptic.

This is a great old house where I have wonderful memories of summers spent with my cousins. We swam in the lake, played in the woods, picked wild raspberries, and piled in the back of the station wagon to go get ice cream.


My family still gathers here on the lake, and when I return the house welcomes me like a beloved blanket. Although, when I arrive, I make sure to say hello to those who can’t be seen and ask them nicely not to scare the pants off me.

5 comments:

Diane Burton said...

What an interesting house. A great place to celebrate your new release. The Irish Hills are beautiful.

Mary Morgan said...

What a beautiful house, Debby! Enjoyed the post and pictures. All the best with your new release!

Debby Grahl said...

Thanks, Ladies!

Nancy Gideon said...

Having grown up in a slightly haunted house, I can appreciate your embrace of the past and it's, ummm, quirks. I'm posting this at a writing retreat with three friends who are all bright pink from a day on Lake Michigan (after morning keyboard time!). Yes, something about the water soothes the soul and opens the imagination.

Unknown said...

Great write-up Debby and a wonderful story of love at the lake!
With all the happiness in that old house, the spirits have to be good ones!