Thursday, July 1, 2021

To Mask or Not to Mask

This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND

First, I'm having a hard time believing we're in the 2nd half of 2021. I remember the 2nd half of 2020. You know, when we thought the covid pandemic was behind us. And it wasn't. So, we wore our masks and practiced social distancing and hoped it would be over soon.

Hubs and I became fully vaccinated--he in mid-February, me in mid-April. Now, all the adults in my immediate family are vaccinated, as is our 14-year-old granddaughter. Why was I so excited? Because now we could all get together without masks. We could hug each other. Can't believe how much I missed that physical touch. My sister and her husband are fully vaccinated. When they visited last week, we realized it had been two and a half years since we'd seen each other in person. Covid really messed up visitations.

If I'm fully vaccinated, why do I still wear a mask? Because there are too many people who aren't vaccinated. They could carry the virus. Consequently, I could carry the virus home to the four little ones who aren't old enough to be vaccinated. 

Doctors' offices, the hospital, the rehab facility where Hubs spent four weeks, all require mask wearing. The home health workers who visit us (to take care of Hubs) wear masks. They are vaccinated. If I go to the store (any store), I wear a mask. When I walk into a restaurant, I wear a mask.

Here in Michigan, our governor cancelled all the covid restrictions. Only those who aren't vaccinated are required to wear masks. How can I trust them? They are foolish not to get vaccinated. I know, it's their choice. But shouldn't their choice include what's best for all of us? On the news last night, the anchor said the only people who are hospitalized for covid aren't vaccinated.

I grew up in the 1950s when polio was the dangerous infection, easily spread like covid. And like covid, people died from polio. As soon as the vaccine was ready, my mother hustled us kids to get our shots. No question. 


When my kids were babies, I made sure they got their inoculations. Protecting them was my duty as a mother. No question.

I'll continue to wear a mask when I'm around people I don't know. How about you? Do you mask up?


7 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Great post, Di. It fully expresses my own concerns. In my household, we got vaccinated the minute it was available to us and continued to mask until the restriction lifted. When we go out into less crowded venues, we social distance unless masks are required. But my grandguy is visiting in July and I know his dad and mom haven't gotten him vaccinated. I'm going to push for them to do so before I have him for all of our safety, his especially. As much as I want to push the whole mess behind me, the safety of those NOT protected still weighs heavily upon me - my youngest son included (though my d-i-l got her vaccination even before it was required for her to do so to return to work). 20% of our country still isn't convinced there's a legitimate danger and that truly is frightening.

Diane Burton said...

Frightening, indeed, Nancy. Our young kids have to be protected from covid, like we now protect them against measles, mumps, chicken pox, and polio. I still have the scar from the small pox vaccine I got as a child.

Maureen said...

Great thought-provoking post! We are all vaccinated in our family and currently don't have any little ones around who are not, so I don't wear a mask often, but if it is required, I will without question.

Jessica E. Subject said...

A timely post! Honestly, the whole pandemic seems like a blur when I look back, as every day seemed to blend into the next. Not much changed between them, even if I did get a lot accomplished.

As for vaccines, my household all have had their first, and we're scheduled for our second one later this month. Some people in my family already have their second shot, but most are still waiting for the second.

I wore a mask long before the pandemic. It was to keep my face warm in the winter, instead of a scarf, but I have never had an issue wearing them. I like that no one in my family has had a cold during the pandemic. Especially since my daughter and I had pneumonia the summer before the pandemic. I will continue to wear a mask when out in public, as I like not being sick. And as you mentioned, I don't trust some people in this city.

Wishing you good health, Diane!

Tena Stetler said...

Great post! I struggle with the same quandary. I am fully vaccinated as is my hubby, but we both had Covid back in February and still feel the effects. We still wear our masks to stores to restaurants, except when we eat, and wonder is it still necessary. I think so given the new variance. Believe me I do not wanna go through what we did in February and subsequent months ever again!

Julie Howard said...

Great topic, Diane. I've been a mask wearer from the start, and made dozens of them for friends and family in the early days when they were difficult to find. Like you, (nearly) all the adults in my family are fully vaccinated but we have two little ones we still want to protect.
I still wear a mask in stores -- it takes so little effort and is a minor inconvenience. My heart aches for those countries where vaccines are in short supply. We are so fortunate!

Mary Morgan said...

Great post, Diane. Since my husband's surgery, I decided to start wearing my mask again when I go into any store. Though we are both fully vaccinated, I don't want to risk having him or me get the variant and hinder his recovery.