Saturday, December 18, 2021

Easy, Affordable DIY Holiday Craft Ideas! by Elizabeth Alsobrooks

I have surfed the net to find some of what I think are the most affordable and/or easy craft ideas for the holidays.

First let’s start with a few fun ornaments. 

Peppermint Candy Ornaments shared with links to the original author Shae at Hello Homebody! Why did I think to include this? Simple, few materials needed, and fun. All you need is some simple shaped metal cookie cutters, nonstick cooking spray, parchment paper, string or ribbon for hanging and some circle peppermints (which I get at the dollar store at $1 per bag).  I had everything but the peppermints on hand!

The full directions are on this great blog post by Shea from Hello Homebody! Peppermint Candy Christmas Ornaments (hello-homebody.com)

 


Want something you can make with younger kids? How about gathering some buttons, construction paper, pipe cleaners, craft glue, googly eyes, felt, popsicle sticks and cotton balls, or whatever you have around, and letting your youngsters make some cotton ball snowmen or sheep ornaments? What could be more fun or less hassle?

 


Have more talented crafters in your family? How about origami and paper gift tags and ornaments? This was one of the most interesting sites I found, and I’m a seasoned origami fan!

My favorite was her heart gift tags!


10 Origami Ornaments for Cute DIY Christmas Tree Decorations

by MELISSA EPIFANO

You can also do a quick YouTube search for some great how-to visuals on cute DIY ideas!  Here’s some I found:

 1 minute star ornament: DIY One Minute Paper Star Christmas Ornaments - YouTube

Easy diamond ornaments: Easy and rich - Origami diamond ornaments. Christmas decoration. Ideas for Christmas - YouTube

Paper Snowflake: Paper Snowflake / Christmas Snowflake ️ - YouTube

3D Christmas trees: 3D Paper Christmas Tree | How to Make a 3D Paper Xmas Tree DIY Tutorial - YouTube

Christmas Angel made from real money, what a great gift topper or card surprise! My MONEY CHRISTMAS ANGEL | Decoration for your Xmas Tree | Dollar Origami | Tutorial DIY by NProkuda - YouTube

3D snowflakes, which look great hanging from the ceiling or window, as I used to teach kids to make these for extra credit and hang them all over the classroom! 3D Paper Snowflakes DIY - YouTube

 Fancier 3d snowflakes: 6 Easy and Attractive Paper Wall Hangings - DIY Christmas Paper Decoration Ideas - YouTube

 

I hope these ideas got your own creative juices flowing! They'll sure help keep bored kids active in positive, creative ways!

 Happy Crafting!

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Takes me back to when my grand guy was my little guy (and not the kid that's now taller than I am!). He'd spend a day in my apartment dining room with me assembling holiday yummies . . . and get to eat those that didn't turn out just right.

Diane Burton said...

My twins (4 yo) are coming over this afternoon. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Morgan said...

Wow! I love these ideas, especially the Peppermint Candy Christmas Ornaments! I was looking for something different to make with the grandchildren. Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth. Happy Holidays!

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

I hope you have fun experimenting with some of these ideas everyone. My hubs gifts money and in a card the 'angel' folded money is going to be really cute. I had fun learning to make it, too!