Saturday, December 4, 2021

Let Them Eat Cookies!

By Maureen Bonatch 


December 4th is National Cookie Day. While growing up in western Pennsylvania the best thing about a wedding was a cookie table. 


Family members would begin baking (or buying) cookies to freeze in advance because you have to have enough cookies for the guests, and many guests plan to take some home with them.


Some receptions...


even supplied baggies on the table as they knew the guests would be absconding with the cookies. 


Granted, at that time a wedding reception was often held in a firehall or other reception area. It was the perfect environment for kids to run amuk once indulging in way too many cookies and other sugary confections.


When I got married I gave instructions to ensure that I got a few of my favorite confections, because even the bride could be deprived if the cookies were that good. 


Over the years...


those types of weddings seem to come around few and far between. Many request that it be an adults only reception, or choose to have their wedding at an exotic location.


Therefore, when an opportunity presented itself to take my twin daughters to an old-fashioned wedding reception when they were two-years old, my sleep-deprived brain this was a good idea—even though my husband was unable to attend. It would be fine!


Sure they were amazed by the gowns in the church, but by the time we got to the reception their limited attention span had run out. Once they spotted the glorious cookie table it was impossible to resist. Little fingers wanted to touch all those delicious confections!


In reflection, it has helped me understand why many receptions may have moved to adult only or exotic islands.


I also realized later in life...


everybody wasn’t familiar with the cookie table tradition (that and the bridal dance where you pay to dance with the bride for a piece of cake, or a shot of alcohol). 


Well, whether you grew up with the cookie-table wedding tradition or not, most people love to bake cookies over the holidays. I know that it’s a tradition with my daughters every year.




And it’s just your luck, today is national cookie day! Who knew we needed an excuse to eat cookies? 


Ready to Start Baking?


My publisher, The Wild Rose Press, has a free 2021 Christmas Cookie Cookbook. Grab a free PDF copy here! My recipe for Peanut Butter Yummies is on page 23.



Want Some More Goodies? Check out these free Cozy Mysteries right HERE.



How About Checking Off Your List With Some Cozy Mystery & Romance Books? Check them out Right Here.



Looking for a story to get you into the holiday spirit? Pick up Magic, Mimosas & Mistletoe RIGHT HERE.




What's Your Favorite Cookie?


Just a small-town girl, Maureen Bonatch leads a double life. She lives in a magical world as a novelist, and as a nurse leader in reality. Maureen’s first novella was a paranormal romance published when blogs were a new-fangled thing. She’s since changed her focus to writing paranormal cozy mysteries as M.L. Bonatch and urban fantasy as Maureen Bonatch. 

While she’s not busy writing or doing nurse-things, she’s a mom to her twin daughters, bicycling in the beautiful woods of PA with her hubby, doing the bidding of a feisty Shih Tzu, and dancing as much as possible. She believes music can be paired with every mood, laughter is contagious, and that caffeine and wine are essential for survival.

 Follow M.L. Bonatch all through cyberspace! 

Keep the conversation going by joining my Facebook Group right HERE!




10 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

I LOVE family traditions during the holiday season. Ours it putting a real tree and our Fakeus tree up the first weekend of December and taking everything down on New Years Day. When I had a young family, I always made big batches of cookies and treats to give at holiday time but now that we're on the far side of the state, that feel by the wayside. I miss them (both the family and the fun).

Maureen said...

I love seeing how my daughters look forward to our holiday traditions. Some have changed over the years. Thanks for stopping by Nancy!

Nightingale said...

What an absolutely charming post. It's a shame some of the old traditions perish over the years. I'm not familiar with that tradition but it sounds lovely. I bet the bride was tired from all that dancing for a shot of alcohol!

Mary Morgan said...

What a lovely post, Maureen! Cookies (and the cookie table) are a must in my family traditions. It started with my mother and now my daughters have taken over, including their own cookie ideas/recipes. Thank you for sharing! :)

Maureen said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies! With the bridal dance at the end the groom has to 'steal' the bride while the circle of dancers surround her. Usually the couple leaves the reception after that.

Maureen said...

Mary- so wonderful that your daughters have continued with the tradition.

Diane Burton said...

I loved hearing about different wedding traditions. Cookies. Ah. When my mom was alive, we often got together to make cookies. My sister still makes lots of cookies and mails them to us. I don't have the energy to make cookies. I love getting them, though. :)

David Leonhardt said...

Yes! Cookies - why not. If it's good enough for Santa, it's good enough for anybody.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh, these are traditions I didn't know about. I wish the weddings I've been to had a cookie table. Going to be baking some for my family soon. Need to dig out the recipes.

Tena Stetler said...

I love cookies! I've never attended a wedding with a cookie table, but sounds great. Loved your post! Baking cookies is one of our holiday traditions! Thanks for sharing!