Monday, June 13, 2022

Happy Book Birthday to Strawberry KY! by Marilyn Barr

 

Two years ago, on the Strawberry Full Moon, the Strawberry Shifters released its first installment - Bear with Me. Alison & Grant's relocation to Strawberry, KY is where it all began. They discover Alison's magical talents aren't the strangest paranormal happenings in the creepy small town.


We've watched Bergan Pharma's IT department find love, come out to rural America, & create the unconventional family perfect for them in Book 2: Round of Applause. This MMF, LGBTQIA+ book is about coming out in rural America and the acceptance of Strawberry's first ethically non-monogamous throuple.

We've watched Rosie's boys grow from little boys mourning the loss of their legendary father to Frank Jr's internship on Seagrass Island. Many readers enjoyed Smoother Than Spumoni last summer and are concerned about skipping in the book order. Don't fret. Go Scorch Yourself is what happens in Strawberry while Alison is in Seagrass FL, setting up Frank Jr's internship. As fans know, Smoother Than Spumoni is what happens when he is on the internship. Chronologically, Scorch comes first but the two stories are only loosely connected with no spoilers.

 

Today, our favorite paranormal town welcomes Book 3: Go Scorch Yourself to the series. This cross between Frozen (Disney) and The Fall of the House of Usher (Poe) introduces readers to what happens in Bergan Pharma at night when the vampires run the company. The hierarchy of the peaceful vampires is blown to bits by Alison's non-magical, completely human, younger sister. What powers does a nursing student use to take on the vampires? Find out in Book 3: Go Scorch Yourself. 



What's next? Book 4: Rotten Apple is Ryan's tragic tale of betrayal, healing, family, and sacrifice. It was officially submitted to my publisher 9/2021 so I hope to hear if it will go into contract soon. You know I can't keep a secret so as soon as I know, you will.

Go Scorch Yourself Blurb:

Bad Girl Betty is ready to start her new nursing career after her boyfriend overdoses at her feet. Moving in with her sister was supposed to be safe, but now Sluagh and vampires are chasing her instead of unpaid drug dealers and detectives. Sluagh are monsters but the Vampire King is just a bully, and Betty plans to take him down. If only her scheme didn't involve getting close to his prince…

       Lucien Von Popescu, mild-mannered microbiologist and Vampire Prince wants to rock and roll all night and sleep all day. Too bad he is being blackmailed. When Lucien is ordered to secure an alliance by seducing Betty, he can't decide if it's a dream come true or his worst nightmare.

 


 

Excerpt:

“Look if you came out here to lord over me. Don’t waste your breath. I’m at my lowest…so…leave me alone.”

“I followed you because I am afraid Sluagh are going to attack. They are attracted to sadness. Your mournful call is bringing the cavalcade to our doorstep.”

“Oh well, heaven forbid I ruin your party,” she puffs between billowing breathes. She claws at her back as if she truly wishes to open the dress. She spins again and I am faced with the back of the dress. It hasn’t a zipper or row of buttons to loosen it.

I take a deep breath and stand behind her. “Tell me not to rip it,” I say with such trepidation that it comes out as a whisper. The wisps of hair on the back of her neck dance to my voice as the waves travel along her flesh. I tuck my fingers into the neckline of her dress, careful to only allow the backs of my fingers to touch her. Her skin is on fire and so silky I fear my callused fingertips will snag it.

“Release me,” she sobs.

A strength buried inside me surges forward and my claws extend from my nailbeds. I dip the black tips into the collar of her dress and yank. The material gives way, revealing smooth creamy skin to her waist. I have a heartbeat to catch my breath before she whirls around and slaps me.

 


Where you can get scorched by Betty & Lucien:

https://storyoriginapp.com/universalbooklinks/8a14f968-b8c6-11ec-a134-17696200c11e

 


Special thank you to the critique partners who have been with me since the beginning. In 2019, Go Scorch Yourself was a printed manuscript which my friends and I giggled over in the local library. Publishing a book wasn’t a thought…and now look…

No comments: