Tuesday, June 7, 2022

How do you prefer to "read" your books?


I think it's amazing that with the technology we have, there are so many ways to enjoy books! In physical books, we can get them in paperback, hardcover, and large print. Then there are ebooks that are available to read on pretty much any computer, laptop, smartphone, or reading device. Audiobooks, too! We also can sometimes choose between reading the written version and graphic novels or webtoons. And occasionally, some of these stories get turned into television series and movies. Do you have a favorite way to enjoy your stories?

I like a combination of all of the above.

There are some books where I have read the book (either print or ebook) then listened to the audiobook and later watched the movie. I did this with The Martian by Andy Weir and The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

There are some Webtoons I read (am reading) before watching the shows, like All of Us Are Dead and Hellbound. In the case of Sweet Home, I watched the show before reading the Webtoon, as I found out about the Webtoon later.

Right now though, I mostly alternate between reading one of the paperbacks on my shelves and one of the hundreds of ebooks on the reading apps on my phone. I have no preference between the two and need to wear my glasses to read both. I would love it if all the stories I enjoy and love got turned into movies or shows, but I know not all of them will.

What about you? What format do you prefer? And if you love a book, will you enjoy it in multiple formats?



9 comments:

Keri Kruspe said...

Hi Jessica,

I haven't really gotten involved in audio books yet - as an author or a reader. In fact, I only own one audio book and its nonfiction. I too alternate between my eReader and a physical book. I do buy hardbacks, but they are from my favorite authors that I've been collecting for years. I don't buy multiple formats of any books.
Can't wait to see what everyone else does!

Nancy Gideon said...

I can't do audio books. I nod off (even when I was proofing my own!). I prefer paper. The surprise isn't as great as a tablet when it hits you in the nose if you fall asleep while reading.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Keri ~ Thank you for stopping by! I love that there are so many choices to allow many people to enjoy the worlds we authors create. My library has audiobooks available through OverDrive, so if I want to get something in a second format, I usually check there first.

Nancy ~ I understand. I can fall asleep during anything lately. Even movies and shows I really want to watch. LOL Thank you!

Maureen said...

I'm all kindle anymore. I still buy some paperbacks- but I'm not as likely to read them as the kindle since it's more convenient. I tried audio books years ago and didn't like them. I only use audio to review/proof my books.

Diane Burton said...

When I was working, I listened to audio books on my commute. Helped tolerate the traffic. LOL Now, it's Kindle all the time. I love taking it on vacation, no heavy books to lug around. I always have something to read.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Maureen ~ Ebooks are definitely more convenient. And having your drafts read aloud is a great way to catch things that need to be edited.

Diane ~ Yes, that would definitely help make traffic bearable. I usually listen to my music loud. LOL And always having something to read is a very good thing!

Tena Stetler said...

Ebooks and audiobooks are my favorites. I love when they are made in to movies for the most part. Discovery of Witches is a series I read, listened to multiple times before they became a TV Series.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Tina ~ I find it interesting how I can pick up different things depending on which version I am enjoying. Sometimes, especially when made for film or television, things are changed, but there is always something I missed the first or second time through.

Nightingale said...

I enjoy eBooks and audiobooks, but I prefer print. Old fashioned I guess. I've begun writing Vella stories and reading these serialized stories. I ennoy writing them and reading them.