Wednesday, June 1, 2022

New Series by Diane Burton


 If you're a regular reader of my posts, you know that I'm big fan of Star Trek and Star Wars. Last month, Paramount released a new Star Trek series, Strange New Worlds (SNW). This takes place right before The Original Series (aka TOS). When TOS came out, I was living at home where Mom controlled the TV and didn't think science fiction was appropriate for my younger brothers and sisters. I've played catch-up via VCR tapes then DVDs and now streaming. I've avidly followed the rest of the series. What is interesting about Strange New Worlds is that each episode is complete in itself, unlike Picard or Discovery which had overarching storylines. In that, SNW is like TOS. I'm enjoying seeing characters from TOS who are much younger, just starting their careers in Star Fleet. I just wish they would release more than one episode a week. 

As if my dose of pop culture isn't enough with SNW, last Friday Disney released a new series, Obi-Wan Kenobi. He needs no explanation for avid Star Wars fans, like moi. For the rest of the world, Obi-wan is a Jedi knight who rescued the twins, Luke and Leia, at the end of Star Wars: Episode III. The Jedi are hunted and destroyed by the evil Empire. So, Obi-wan lays low, appearing to be an ordinary guy. The series takes place when the twins (housed with different families) are about ten years old. Ewan McGregor reprises his role as Obi-Wan with a weariness (and wariness) that fits the character. Disney released the first two episodes at once. TYVM.

I've mentioned before (oh, about a thousand times) how Star Wars and Star Trek influenced my writing. The action, the adventure, the romance. When Han responds to Leia's "I love you" with "I know" my heart still flutters. In my first published novel, Switched, my MC, Jessie, is a diehard Star Trek fan. As she grapples with the concept that she's really on a starship, she relates the setting and certain officers to her favorite movie, ST: The Voyage Home.  


Because there's no chance of going into space myself, I'll continue to watch the latest Star Trek and Star Wars series. My imagine will take me to strange new worlds, as I go where no one has gone before.

 

 

9 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

LOVING Obi-Wan Kenobi (and Ewan McGregor in anything!)! Boba Fett was also good (my son's favorite character). These small screen versions have been very satisfying. Haven't tried SNW yet . . . but will be!

Diane Burton said...

My fav Star Wars spinoff has been the Mandalorian. Son talked me into getting Disney+ because of that show. So glad I did. Boba Fett was really interesting. Loved Fennic. That's one kick-butt woman.

Maureen said...

I have only watched a few Star Wars... I know... I know...you are convincing me that I might need to revisit these.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh, Star Trek definitely influenced my writing. I wasn't as big a Star Wars fan, but Obi-Wan is my favourite character from the franchise, so I will definitely be watching. Have to finish the series I'm watching now (Raising Dion) before I start the next though. I watch different shows with different members of the family, so I have to work around all of our schedules. LOL

Have a fabulous June!

Nightingale said...

Oh, dear, now I must subscribe to Disney as well as HBO Max for the Game of Thrones prequel in August. Luckily, I have Paramount.

Diane Burton said...

Maureen, discovering new aspects of characters (or between the episodes) allows us to know more about the story. People have written fan fiction for Star Wars and Star Trek for years, trying to explain what might have happened. I love that Disney (now that they own the whole Star Wars world) is sharing those stories with the rest of us.

Diane Burton said...

LOL, Jess. We only had one tv when I was growing up. Sharing can be such a pain. LOL

Diane Burton said...

LOL, Linda. There are so many channels with such great programs. I could spend a fortune subscribing to as many as I want. If I have to watch a certain series and it means subscribing to a new channel, I have to unsubscribe from something.

Leah St. James said...

I saw TOS as a kid, and hubby and I are now watching (and enjoying) Strange New Worlds. I like the Star Trek series more than Star Wars (aside from the original three movies), so I probably won't be watching the Obi-Wan series. My older son is a folklorist and a huge Star Trek fan. He participates in a weekly podcast with a couple other fans, and their discussion goes waaaay over my head into the culture and details and everything Star Trek! :-)