Friday, July 22, 2022

Me Time - We All Need It by Tena Stetler

 

Me time is defined as time spent relaxing on one’s own as opposed to working or doing things for others, seen as an opportunity to reduce stress and/or restore energy.

What do you do for me time?  What? You don’t have me time? It's Friday, schedule some me time this weekend. Me time is as important as breathing less you succumb to a stroke, heart attack, mental shutdown or meltdown. A writer block can be the result of unreleased stress.

Believe me, I’ve been there, as have most of you. In recent months, two acquaintances have succumbed to strokes. They were not authors, but worked in a high stress, time demanding industry. They’ll survive, but--learned the hard way about the necessity of me time. Take a deep breath and insist on me time. Tell everyone in your life, you’re taking an hour, a day, a weekend  or longer for me time. Don’t feel guilty! It’s not selfish, it’s necessary. Nothing is worth your health, mental or physical.

Publishing is a tough, ever-changing industry. It can be rewarding, but it’s not for the faint of heart. Between promo, signings (these are fun, the prep isn’t), deadlines, manuscripts, reviews, edits, and creativity, melt down is inevitable, at the least, if you don’t stop, take breath and break out of the vicious cycle the profession entails.


For me, it’s camping trips (see out most recent view from our campsite on the 4th of July above) with hubby and pets. Also I enjoy time in my sunroom with Taco, our parrot, and Mystic our dog where we discuss what's wrong with the world. They listen intently, but offer no opposition. Long walks around the neighborhood with Mystic, if I can’t get out and do a little hiking in the mountains. Even just sitting outside our fifth wheel trailer parked in the mountains working a word scramble, reading a good book, or enjoying the sights and sounds of a babbling brook, roaring river, wind through the aspens, or wild life frolicking near our camp site. During the Spring, Summer and Fall this is how my me time is spent. Okay, I admit that sometimes a story concept comes to mind and must be written down in the middle of my me time. During the winter, I make time for a great read, curled up by a crackling fire in the fireplace, a bowl of hot buttered popcorn, and a HUGH mug of cocoa.


Well, that’s about all I have for you this month. It doesn't matter what industry you're in, remember to schedule ME TIME. I'd love to hear what you do for me time. To help you with that, let this heart-warming book, A WITCH’S JOURNEY, whisk you away from your ordinary world with tales of redemption, magic, wildlife rescue, true love & paying it forward that will leave you breathless.  A stress reducer for your pocketbook with my Christmas in July sale e[book only 99cents. Download a copy today! Pssst...it's also available in audiobook.

A little more about A WITCH'S JOURNEY part of the series by the same name. Pepper McKay comes from a long line of powerful witches. Unfortunately, magic brings her nothing but trouble. She learned the love of wildlife rescue and rehab from her Aunt Ashling. After graduating from college, Pepper works for Salem Wildlife Sanctuary and lives from paycheck to paycheck until she inherits the McKay property in Lobster Cove. With the family land and resources, she dares to dream of starting her own wildlife rescue and rehabilitation center.

Lathen Quartz, a former Navy SEAL turned handyman maintains the enchanted McKay property for the McKay estate. But someone is trying to steal the McKay magic. Lathen offers to help Pepper achieve her life-long dream of building a wildlife center. During the long hours spent together on the project, their mutual attraction can’t be denied. But each harbors a deep, dark secret. Will they overcome their demons and give love a chance?

See you next month. Can you believe it will be August already? Where does time go?

14 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

My special ME time is where there's water. I love the scent and the sound of waves rolling in. Though surrounded by it here in MI, I rarely get sand between my toes and I miss that. The next best thing is morning patio time with the cats before it get too hot to enjoy the morning. Doing nothing, just recharging on nature. Ahhhh.

D. V. STONE said...

Hey fellow Glamper thanks for the reminder to enjoy life.

Bamakim said...

My me time is spinning fiber into gorgeous yarn. I sit and spin and look out the window at the wild life in the yard, usually deer and squirrels, an occasional fox. It is true I have a pad and pen nearby for ideas that come to me in the calm but mostly it's me and the fiber coursing through my fingers and onto the bobbin.

Tena Stetler said...

Nancy you have the right idea! Where ever you can find peace and quiet to sooth your soul. Thanks for stopping by!

Hey DV! Yep, always remember to take time to smell the roses in what ever form you prefer. We'll be off camping again shortly! Yippee!! Thanks for stopping by Donna!

Tena Stetler said...

Wow Bamakim, how interesting to spin fiber into yarn. Do you weave the yarn into cloths, blankets what? Love your description. I can see your calm. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Mary Morgan said...

Wonderful post, Tena. And I totally understand the value about "Me Time". At the beginning of this year, I had to make some business decisions on how I managed my writing and the business side. After 10 years, I required a change for that precious time for myself.

So sorry to hear about your friends. I hope they're on the path of recovery.

Diane Burton said...

Last year, I took an online workshop by our own Maureen Bonatch on self-care. She reminded us that we need "me time" and needed to take care of ourselves. If we don't, we can't care for others. At the time, I was Hubs' sole caregiver, a daunting prospect but necessary. As he's gotten better, I have more time for myself. Being near water makes a big difference. So soothing. I get pedicures, an indulgence but, oh so nice. Reading is a necessity. Great post, Tena. Thanks for the reminder.

Tena Stetler said...

Thank you Mary for stopping in. Yeah, I've had to make a few changes to my writing, promo, etc schedule. Can't keep up and still have enough me time. I'm working it out. Don't take my work with my camping, take books I want to read. My friends are doing better and better, a hard lesson to learn. Thanks for asking.

Tena Stetler said...

Sounds like you learned a lot from Maureen's workshop and put it into practice. Glad you Hubs is doing better. Thank you for stopping in Diane!!

Jessica E. Subject said...

My "me" time is going to the fitness studio. I usually go there twice a week for spin class, and do weight classes from home twice a week. It's my own little block of time. I used to take our dog for long walks, but she's getting older now, and it's too hot right now anyway. I'll likely go back to that in the fall.

Great post!

Maureen said...

Great post! I admit, I don't prioritize 'me' time enough. But my 'me' time is sitting on the porch in the morning with my coffee, or time with a good book. Watching a movie etc.

Tena Stetler said...

Thanks for stopping by Jessica! I exercise in the home gym in our basement a couple times a week. I too like dog walks the best. LOL

Tena Stetler said...

Thanks for stopping in Maureen. Porch sitting and reading a good book sound perfect. I don't think anyone works out Me Time as much as we should. Life happens.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a wonderful talent. I know you’ll like A Witch’s Journey. Glad you gave it a read.