Saturday, July 16, 2022

The Valkyrie Initiative & What's Next

 

Tis the season of anthologies for this writer! I've got another short story coming out in September in The Valkyries Initiative (available on Amazon).

Mostly, my protagonists have the same kind of vibes, which is great news if you like my main characters (and hopefully you do!). They are women who are learning to depend on themselves in various situations for the first time. Jade is no different.

She has just graduated from college with a degree in art history and is mere days away from starting her dream job. Sound fabulous, right?

It wouldn't be fiction if we left it there. Well, at least it wouldn't be an exciting piece of fiction if we did.

Jade gets all dressed up to attend her graduation ceremony, but when everyone tosses their caps into the air and she catches someone else's, everything she's worked so hard for is suddenly threatened because she sees something she's not supposed to. She sees a vision of a woman being murdered.

Could it be that she's going crazy like her Grandma Jane?

I suppose you'll just have to find out :) Especially if you like tough women who don't follow boring tropes.

Like I said earlier, this seems to be the season of anthologies for me, and I'm not complaining. If you remember from my previous posts, I love to genre jump and this is a great way for me to do just that. Previously, I wrote a paranormal romance, this time it's an urban fantasy thriller, and later this year I'll be back with the third installment of a dystopian survival story.

If you love writing short stories, and I totally do, anthologies are a fantastic way to get your stories out there. I love having a deadline (it's more of a love-hate relationship seeing as I'm notorious for saying yes to way too many projects) as well as getting to know more writers. It's so fun to go to a convention and meet a new writing friend only to realize you've been in the same anthology.

Either way, I hope that you'll keep telling the stories you'd want to read. 

Until next month, happy writing!



3 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Congrats, April! You've found a great (and profitable!) niche. LOVE how your heroine gets her vision. Now that's something you don't see every day

Diane Burton said...

You're right about an anthology being a great way to try a different genre. Testing the waters, so to speak. It's super how you've taken advantage of these opportunities. Best wishes.

Diane Burton said...

I just read your mini-bio at the end of the post. Daniel Tiger songs stick in my brain for days after my grandsons were here. They know most by heart, even though they only watch Daniel because I want to now. At four, they think they're too old. LOL