Thursday, July 7, 2022

Submit and Send... Now What? Post by Jessica E. Subject

 


In my post from April, I talked about how I'd almost finished writing RET, the last book in my Kaddim Brothers series. Well, I've finished. And I'm currently in the final stages of editing. As I write this, I'm currently on stage 6 of my self-editing process, as I detailed in this post from November 2021. That means, I'm almost ready to submit it to my publisher.

But, what comes next?

There are so many possibilities of things to do when an author finishes writing a book and/or series. I'm going to talk about some of them, but feel free to add your own ideas in the comments.

1. CELEBRATE

It's a huge accomplishment to have finished writing a book and get it to the point where you're ready to share it with others. Many people have dreams to have a book published, but never start. If they do, they don't finish. So, celebrate this accomplishment.


2. READ

Some authors don't read in their genre when they're writing. These breaks in writing are a chance to read in your genre and see what's popular. It's also good to read outside your genre, to read wide and gain new perspectives. This can really help with your future writing. Reading non-fiction can also help with research and ideas for upcoming stories.

3. WATCH TV / MOVIES

This is the time to watch those movies and shows you've been putting off to finish your story. Enjoy! And maybe find some inspiration. I've been inspired by so many shows and movies over the years.


4. HEALTH CHECK

This is important. One's health can be another thing authors put on hold when finishing a story. Schedule appointments for this time to see to your physical and mental health. Go to the gym, or even just for a walk. Get a massage. Just be sure to take care of yourself.


5. BOOK PROMOTION

This is a good time to work on a promotion plan for your upcoming book if you're self-publishing or already have this series with a publisher. If you have backlist titles, you can also work on promo material for them, to remind readers that you already have other books out there.


6. START PLANNING OR WRITING THE NEXT STORY

I'm not an intense plotter, but I do spend a lot of time playing out my story in my head and then jotting notes down so I can remember it all. I use a basic 8-point romance outline that was shared by Stephanie Bond in a Romance 101 course I took several years ago. It works for me, and I know many authors have different systems to plot out stories that work for them. If you're you're a pantser, just go ahead and write that new story!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
Be sure to back everything up! You don't want to invest all that work into something only to find it suddenly gone.

As I finish up edits for RET, and am closer and closer to submitting, I am also intensely plotting the first book in my next series. There's been a few glitches I've been trying to figure out how to get them to work, but it seems to be coming together now. I look forward to the day I can share more about this book and series with you!

Wishing you all a wonderful July!






11 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

You are rocking it, Jessica!! Pleased to have everything checked off on your list including backup. That hard learned lesson is one I never need repeated!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Nancy! And glad you do all these things! Very important! I've added backing up my files to my checklist so I don't forget. I've heard too many horror stories, and don't want to experience that.

Nightingale said...

A very worthwhile list! I do most of these but think I'll keep this as a reminder. Thanks, Jessica.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Linda! I love lists that I can check things off. LOL

Tena Stetler said...

Finishing a book is a wonderful accomplishment! Congrats. I love lists too, and your lists are almost like mine. Love checking off the items, give you such a since of accomplishment. Great post, thanks for sharing!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thanks so much, Tena! Yes, lists are great! And the best part is that you can always personalize them to suit your needs.

Maureen said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Maureen!

Diane Burton said...

Congrats on finishing the book. As you say, so many don't. Great checklist. I love checklists. Such a great feeling when I check off a task. Enjoy this "down" time. Good advice on taking care of yourself. As women, we tend to take care of everyone else and leave ourselves to the last.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Diane! Not much downtime for me. I have a list of things I have to do during this time. LOL But you're right about taking care of ourselves. I try to schedule that into my daily and weekly activities, too. LOL

Damyanti Biswas said...

A very intriguing theme! :D