Monday, July 25, 2022

When Life Gets Too Busy . . . Step Back! by Nancy Gideon

I’m in a creative slump. There sits my W-I-P, a romantic suspense I’ve been working on for far too long, just across my office on my laptop, file dormant and unopened, for WEEKS. It’s reached 68K . . . and holding. And holding. The initial idea, begun while on vacay in Ireland last fall, quickly consumed my imagination as page after page of storyline gushed out without one paragraph of preconceived plot . . . suddenly stalled out. It’s got great characters, deep subplots, compelling romance, and edge of your seat suspense . . . but what it doesn’t have is a notion of how to get from page now to page end. I know HOW it ends, when it ends and how it sets up the next book in the projected series. What I don’t know is how to carry my currently cooling their heels characters to that HEA.

Then I glance at my desk calendar and see that 16 out of the last 25 days have been filled with “Events” from doctor/dentist/vet appts for me, my sister, and my cat (who has dental surgery tomorrow!), a son who is back to work in the afternoons that has him up in the morning wanting to “talk” during my sacred time to commune with my characters, to sundry unplanned things that required time and attention and me leaving the house (ewww!) that pulled me from my writing schedule. I am NOT a fan of busyness. I am an isolationist hermit who would be happy living on a deserted island as long as it had Netflix, good Internet, Amazon delivery, and plenty of cat litter (for the cats!). I need to escape on a writing vacation!!


Three years ago when I got to the deadline last straw, I rented a suite at a hotel across the state near my other son’s family with the intention of pounding out pages during the day, then relaxing in the onsite pool/hot tub and going out to eat and visiting in the evening. But when family found out I was nearby, I ended up being the before/after school drop off/pick up cite for my grandguy. Fun, but non-productive. I know, I’m a mush! I’m just a Grammy who can’t say no . . . or keep a secret. Still, I DID get words!

I’ve missed going to writing events, write-ins, or just face-to-faces with my critique group and other active writers that get the creative juices flowing. While complaining about their absence in this post, I suddenly realized that the desire to open that laptop and add pages to my W-I-P has become a priority again! The next chapter is whispering to me. Before it starts yelling, I’ll give this post a quick spell check and send it out. Because . . . I’ve got words to do!

3 comments:

Diane Burton said...

It's surprising what spurs us on. Geez, Nancy, I could've written the beginning of your post. Oh, yes. Stalled. Until this past month. Stalled on a sci-fi WIP that has such potential. How to get from now to end. I know that problem well. One of our fellow IWSG people suggested writing the end of the story, since I know what it is. Maybe that would spark something for the transition. But, hey, if something's hit you, go for it, girl. I'm dying to read this new story. Meantime, I'm cooking on another project--again one that stalled for a while. I wrote a fairly good piece from the villain's pov on how the murder was done. Boy, did that spark some ideas. That WIP is a cozy mystery, 1st person POV, so I can't use verbatim what I've written, but it answered questions that prompted more writing. Hope you figure out whatever method works. Me, too, or I'm joining you on that island.

Maureen said...

Maybe schedule in some 'appointments' and go to a coffee shop and write while the fam thinks you are 'busy' (Cause you are) or try writing the end, or other scenes you know then paste them together later. Good luck! Summer is always more difficult for me to find time when everyone wants to do things together.

Jessica E. Subject said...

It's really hard to write when the inspiration isn't hitting. I have days, weeks, and months like that. Sometimes for me, even planning out the next scene is a win. Those little wins are still important and add up over time. Hopefully you can find the space, time, and mindset to focus on the story again!