Thursday, July 14, 2022

A Question for Writers, Published or Not

 

He's only here to get your attention.  :-)

I have been working on another western romance—and working, and working…It seems endless, and I’m only shooting for 50,000 words.  Why do you persist (other than sheer stubbornness, you mean?)? I’m under contract to write this book.  I use every excuse not to work on it.  Yesterday, I found an old story I’d written back in the dark ages, and happily, joyfully even, worked on it until late at night.  You know that feeling when you’re writing for the joy of writing? I had this yesterday with my little vampire story.

And it struck me.

I’ve always, by and large, written paranormal stories.  The one I worked on yesterday was a vampire ditty. My western romance doesn’t have even one preternatural being. (I borrowed preternatural from Anne Rice; she probably borrowed it from the Thesaurus. I mean who says “preternatural”?)

I had to be dragged away from the computer and that story had a vampire as the hero. I was back in my element and happy writing. That hasn’t happened often lately. And this story dates back to when I thought GMC was an SUV. I don’t remember where I was going in my ramblings. CRS.

I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if you are a writer, should you take any topic and write well or do you prefer to stick with those things you love?

That little story has become a new KindleVella offering. I called it The Pariah. You can read the first 3 episodes free. But as of this writing there are only 2. Get all your preternatural friends onboard, read my vampire tale, and if they like what they’ve read, I’d appreciate a Thumbs-up at the conclusion of the 3rd episode.*


https://www.amazon.com/The-Pariah/dp/B0B6CX46ZW/

*Light Bulb – if not the moral to this post, it was at least a message.

Happy Thursday, July 14th,

 Linda Nightingale

 

5 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Nothing strange about it. I'm going through the same thing. 58K (!) into a RS and suddenly I can't force myself to turn on my laptop. Instead, I've been reading through the backlist of my PNR series and playing on Canva to reimagine covers now that I have the rights back. Yep. PRN calls to creativity because it's FUN! Maybe I should make my Texas Ranger a shapeshifter . . .

Nightingale said...

Thanks for weighing in. Nancy. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone. I think a shapeshifting Texas Ranger would be sexy! What would he shift into? I wonder why I never see shifters transforming into horses. Best of luck with your RS. I'll be on the lookout for that "shiftless" Texas Ranger. :-)

Keri Kruspe said...

You can get my attention any time with a picture like that....

Nightingale said...

I know! I found him and thought I'd share with my fellow writers.

Diane Burton said...

I love that feeling when a story is going fantastically. That's the joy of writing. I haven't felt that way in a long time. Go with it. I'm going to check out Pariah. Best wishes.