Thursday, August 25, 2022

The Paws that Refreshes by Nancy Gideon



For someone who is retired, how can my life get so BUSY?! Blog posts to write, grocery shopping, meals to prepare, patio garden to weed and water, appointments to run to, dust to disturb, and don’t get me started on that next chapter I’ve been meaning to get to . . . Sometimes it feels like life’s hurriedness leaves me with little time to just reeeeelax. It took me a while (like four years!) to figure it out, but relaxation is something that has to be scheduled in, just like laundry. That’s where PRT (Pet Relaxation Therapy) comes in. I made that up, but I’ve found it IS the prescription for getting a better grip on the good, bad, and the obligatory things in life.

I’ve got three strictly indoor cats who dream of prowling the jungle in search of prey (okay, it’s just long grass and birds at the feeder). After a long Michigan winter of observing through storm windows, the second the screens go on, they start begging to go outside.

 
I am a firm believer in safely confining one’s preschoolers and four-legged friends. No one wants them running loose in their yards or in the street. That’s why backyards have fences, front doors have locks, and pets have leashes. We have a nice rear patio and huge fenced in yard filled with wild life enticers (field corn and bird feeders) that draw everything from song birds and squirrel families to the occasional ground hog, raccoon, or high-jumping deer. It never gets dull. It’s like having our own wild life channel with frequent trips to Menard’s for seed cakes. There’s nothing like opening the curtains to find diners waiting.


Without fail, by 10:00 am the lineup is at the door waiting to be leashed. While my fluffies rush out to consume grass (that will later be stepped in by bare feet where you least expect it), it’s basking time with the appropriate SPF. And while I slowly baste, I work out that next surprise plot twist or that next project outline. Ahhhhhh. The cats get their restricted stalking and I get my scenes set up. Win-Win!

So, snatch your writing (or plotting) opportunities where you can find them. Down time is wasted time when you could be fighting dragons or seducing a prince with your clever banter.

Where are your favorite places to soak up inspiration?

♚♚♚♚♚
Nancy Gideon on the Web



4 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

This summer, I started taking my dog out in the yard (since she can't go for walks anymore) and writing while out there. I was surprised at how easily the words flowed. Have a great day!

Nancy Gideon said...

Sometimes it really opens the creativity to get out of your regular writing space. That's why I love going to the occasional writers retreats where no one is asking me to make them dinner! Please fresh air!!

Diane Burton said...

I often miss my 4-legged buddies. We haven't had a dog for a long time. When I see puppies on TV, my heart goes "ahh" and I want that cute Golden or Lab puppy. Then I remember that they grow up and weigh 60-80 pounds. Unfortunately, where I live now fences aren't allowed. So, no running free unless we get an electric fence. I've given a lot of thought to getting a new pet. Pet therapy sounds like just what I need.

Nancy Gideon said...

I remember Bear coming to the door when I'd pick you up for writers' meetings. He was such a sweetheart - with a tail like a baseball ball when it got to wagging!