Thursday, July 13, 2023

Sasquatch, Yeti, Chuchunya, Bigfoot, and Other Fuzzy Love Interests by Marilyn Barr

 

The first reference to a ‘hairy, wildman’ in literature is in the Epic of Gilgamesh from ancient Mesopotamia (Sumeria) over 4000 years ago. This story of King Gilgamesh and his companion Enkidu has survived for thousands of years and traveled around the globe on cuneiform tablets, parchment scrolls, paperbacks, and finally eBooks. Enkidu is described as a fully-sentient humanoid with the capacity to blend into Sumerian society, after some tutelage from King Gilgamesh. However, he chooses to live in the cedar forests with the giant monsters, due to his unusually hairy physique. Just like the ‘great flood’ in this work of ancient literature the ’hairy forest man’ myth has been reproduced in literature around the globe…but what is this creature?


Sasquatch? Bigfoot? Chuchunya? Yeti?

It depends on the region of the world and the unique adaptations of the creature. Bigfoot primarily lives in the Appalachian Mountains of the USA, is known for his foul odor, is tall and lean, and is generally light brown. This is very different from the yeti of the Himalayan Mountains which is white, has more mass and thicker fur, and eats a carnivorous diet. Sasquatch and Chuchunya do not live in mountain regions…they live on the snowy tundra of the Arctic Circle.

Perhaps you have heard of my series Snuggling in Siberia where I share my husband’s culture and traditions through the inner working of a Chuchunya clan. These hairy cryptids fight the brutal weather of the Arctic Circle as well as the melting permafrost as the global climate changes. After Book 1:Cuddling My Chuchunya was released an unexpected foe threatened the clan. War. With Russia and Ukraine fighting a devastating war just miles from the Siberian Tundra, I couldn’t in good conscience continue the series…unless they migrated…

Do I dare to rewrite a released book, a book on preorder, and outlined 8-book series? You bet.

The Sasquatch of northern Canada and Alaska have amazing similarities to my beloved Chuchunya. They are both tundra beasts who live under the permafrost. Snuggling in Siberia changed to Snuggling Under Snowdrifts. Climate change is a global problem that manifests in every biome, so the message of saving our melting permafrost can live on…but in North America.


Reindeer migration routes are blocked by railway lines in Siberia causing a decline in species. In Northern Canada, the permafrost isn’t firm enough to hold the tracks! However, the Canadian government has recently implemented programs to save their endangered caribou and their migration routes. This means Vera’s plight to save Balky in Cuddling My Chuchunya could make the transition. Same with the hazelnut harvests, mating chase along the boreal shield (the grasslands between the boreal forest and Arctic Tundra), the Northern Lights, and the two-season calendar year dependent on hours of daylight.

Balky, gone but not forgotten

How could the myth of the chuchunya and Sasquatch blend? Migration over the Bering Strait. Paleontologists and Anthropologists (like Dr. Vera, our heroine in Book 1) are conflicted over a large migration, with people, marched over the ice when Russia was connected to Alaska at the end of the last Ice Age. If it is hypothesized that homo sapiens migrated with saber tooth tigers, why not chuchunya? The mythical beasts would naturally evolve to be slimmer with black fur and a voracious appetite for fish when they adapted to Alaska and the Northwest Territories. I took this into account when rewriting my clan and made Adrik, the loner from an extinct clan, a true Sasquatch.

Does this migration move the series release schedule? Not a bit. Book 2: Spooning My Chuchunya will release on 8/8/2023 when climatologist, Dr. Sydney Decker, crosses the Canadian Tundra to ‘rescue’ her best friend from the mysterious survivalist group that has taken over her life.

Will Sydney rescue Vera from her happily ever after or find one of her own? Here’s more about Spooning My Chuchunya (now on pre-order sale for 99 cents - preorder here)

I found the most elusive spot to hide from my parent’s cult but in claiming my cave, I accidentally allowed a snow monster to claim me…

Dr. Sydney Decker


Six months ago, Dr. Vera Thompson disappeared into the wilderness to settle with a mysterious “survivalist colony” without a known location. She may have bought their lies, but I was born into an isolated group of religious fanatics and can’t believe Vera would fall into the same trap. Her weak “find my phone app” signal is the lifeline between us, and I won’t stop searching the frigid tundra for her. My best friend helped me escape but now, it’s my turn to save her.

Sergei


Loneliness threatens my sanity with each rejection at the annual mating chase. Females fear my hot temper and need for control, instead of appreciating that I am the biggest and fiercest male chuchunya. I had lost hope I would discover my 
dushevnayasvyaz or soulmate, but then she found us. This season I find myself breaking the ancient rules and deliberately damaging the rituals I hold dear…at her request. I meant what I said when I promised to rearrange the world to make my dushevnayasvyaz happy, but when will I be pushed too far?

Caught between the regimented conditioning of the clan and the willful spirit of his 
dushevnayasvyaz, Sergei must choose the order which keeps him stable or his chance at fated love. Will they escape punishment for their deeds or face shunning in a desolate place where community means survival? Will Sydney recognize he’s betraying his kin to win her heart or ignore their bond in fear of losing her independence?

Spooning My Chuchunya releases on 8/8/2023, but you can start the series now in Canada with Cuddling My Chuchunya Edition 2 on Amazon Kindle Unlimited - start your adventure here.

3 comments:

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

S.C. said...

I have absolutely loved both books. I didn't think Sergei could possibly move me more than our first handsome hairball, but he did!!