Tuesday, July 4, 2023

My Made-Up Holiday

 By Maureen Bonatch


Scruff said that no matter what holiday- he wants presents!


Today is a holiday in my neck of the woods, (and I’m not talking about Sidewalk Egg Frying Day), but as with most holidays, it’s not one that everyone celebrates, depending upon where you live and how much you love this holiday. We all have our favorites and make a bigger deal out of some than others. 

Happy…Merry…Holiday! 

Now I’ve been posting on the 4th of the month at Paranormal Romantics for, well, many years. So this year, rather than discuss the 4th of July/Independence Day, I thought I’d venture into another topic about holidays — how they keep multiplying. 


Depending on where you look, you can probably find a holiday for about every day of the year. I guess if you really want to celebrate something, you’ll find something. 


A few places to find odd holidays include: 



If there are so many different holidays, I don’t see why we can’t suggest some new ones. (Although if we look around, they might already exist) So here’s mine.

Sweatpants Day

To be honest, I daydreamed about having a holiday called sweatpants day much more often when I didn’t work remotely. Since I started working remotely almost five years ago, I’ve made it my personal holiday almost every day (or yoga pants day) since video conference calls are only the waist up. But, I didn’t use to get to work in comfort.


Prior to that, I worked in several offices that had specific dress codes, which included the dreaded nylons. Not the cute ones that you see nowadays, but the ones with the lovely reinforced toes, enough compression to cut off circulation, and the tendency to get a runner about five minutes after putting them on. In a nutshell—although they often came in an egg—they were really uncomfortable, especially when you paired them with some heels that looked gorgeous if you were sitting but inflicted pain or discomfort with each step. 


This is why most of us would gladly contribute five to ten dollars every once in a while to have a jeans day. I don’t even like jeans unless they are stretchy, but uncomfortable times call for compromise. 


So I’d dream of the day that Sweatpants Day would become a holiday. Since it never happened, I had to work remotely to make it my own. 


What Would Your Made-Up Holiday Be and Why?


But Wait- there's more! Here are some sales and freebies to enjoy while celebrating your made-up holiday!




Celebrate Christmas in July all month long at N. N. Light’s Book Heaven’s sixth annual Christmas in July Fête. 45 Christmas-themed books, 36 authors, $75 Amazon gift card up for grabs plus discover what these authors love most about the holidays! https://www.nnlightsbookheaven.com/christmas-in-july-fete

Just a small-town girl, Maureen Bonatch leads a double life. She lives in a magical world as a novelist, and as a nurse leader in reality. Maureen’s first novella was a paranormal romance published when blogs were a new-fangled thing. 


Maureen writes cozy paranormal mysteries and paranormal romance as M.L. Bonatch and urban fantasy as Maureen Bonatch. While she’s not busy writing or doing nurse things, she’s a mom to her twin daughters, bicycling in the beautiful woods of PA with her hubby, doing the bidding of a feisty Shih Tzu, and dancing as much as possible. She believes music can be paired with every mood, laughter is contagious, and caffeine and wine are essential for survival.


 Follow M.L. Bonatch all through cyberspace! 

 Amazon page    BookBub Facebook Goodreads Newsletter https://www.maureenbonatch.com/free-book/



Keep the conversation going by joining my Facebook Group right HERE! https://www.facebook.com/groups/630494098126926

7 comments:

Keri Kruspe said...

Love this post, Maureen. Great way to look at things from a different perspective. Thanks!

Nancy Gideon said...

Afternoon Nap Day - at least once a week. That would be purrrrrfect for me and my cuddly cats.

Maureen said...

Oh, I love the idea of an afternoon nap day!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Since the pandemic, I love the idea of wearing sweatpants and afternoon naps. Both sound great to me! I would love to have a day where everyone could speak a new language. Just for the day. But, I think that would be fun! Or maybe it's a story idea. LOL

Nightingale said...

Muse Day - a day free of phone, email, and drop-in visitors to get lost in writing, enjoying the company of your characters and making progress with your story.

Maureen said...

Oh,I love the idea of a muse day! I need one right now, lol.

Diane Burton said...

Great post, Maureen. I vote for afternoon nap day. How about Binge-watch Day?