Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy Halloween

This morning, I woke up to the realization that I didn't schedule my slot on the blog and neither did I have a subject to blog about. This is unusual for me because I'm a scheduler. I plan ahead. Not so today. For the last couple of weeks I've worked on nothing but edits for various projects. I managed to eek out a chapter in the WIP but mostly it's been edits.

My brain is mush.

Which is a good lead-in for this post, I guess.

It used to be that folks dressed up on Halloween--All Hallow's Eve--to trick the evil spirits visiting the mortal realm. You see, on Halloween, the veil between the Other Realm and the Mortal Realm supposedly weakens and allows the dead to visit our world for one night. Thus the need for costumes to "fool" the evil ones so they won't bother us.

That got me to thinking. In this day and age of globalization, since we're "out there" all over the web, are those pictures and profiles of laughing happy people really our true selves or do we wear a mask and costume?

Do we hide behind a persona so no one can figure out we're not the alleged exciting, positive, upbeat people we strive to portray? No one's picture ever shows a bad day, a frown, the snarkiness or the muck we deal with on a daily basis.

What do we hide? What are we not telling you?

If you met us in person, would we be the same person you know online?

I'd like to think so but who can say for sure? Have we been honest with anyone we've met or do we cling to a costume so as not to let people get close?

It's time to take the mask off. Good, bad or the ugly, let us see. We'll understand. We're not quite...perfect either ;-)

Halloween's this weekend and while you're slumped, exhausted, on the sofa due to sugar overload, think about picking up a ghost story--mine! This is the last week to get The Haunting of Amelia Pritchart for a discounted price over at The Wild Rose Press. http://www.thewildrosepress.com

Until the next time, happy writing.

8 comments:

Alyssa Maxwell said...

Definitely guilty here of wearing my happy, successful mask, but does anyone really want to see me grumpy? I think not! A lot of writers tend to be introverts, so it's through our books that people can get to know us best.

Sandra Sookoo said...

I agree! Thanks for stopping by :-)

J Hali Steele said...

I wasn't born with dimples, they sort of fell on my face from smiling. I even laugh at myself. Not hiding anything here! But I do love Halloween and pretending to be someone or something else.

Can't wait to read this, and Friday night would be a good time!

Rebecca Royce said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Annie Nicholas said...

I wear many masks. The mommy mask, the worker mask, the wife mask but the annie mask is my favorite.

Rae Lori said...

Ooh, must dash on over and get my copy!

tonya kappes said...

I have to admit! I am the same happy positive person I am online-in person. I believe in positive energy, The Universe, giving back, staying positive. My motto: Thoughts become things, better choose the good ones-TUT
I tell my kids everyday "karma"
People who know me in person that read my blog or novels say 'I can hear you reading/saying that.'
I don't believe in putting on aires.

Virginia C said...

I am myself online. Sometimes, I am funnier than usual, and sometimes more philosophical. However, I am always me!

gcwhiskas at aol dot com