Wednesday, August 18, 2021

How to Come Up with Story Ideas by Elizabeth Alsobrooks


Ideas come in many forms and in many ways. Any activity, even idle time, is an opportunity to let your imagination loose. One such think time came today when I was at the dentist [Yes, you instantly conjured plenty of horrific images, didn’t you?]. With nothing to do but ignore random questions asked while your mouth is too full of dental equipment to answer, getting your teeth cleaned is a perfect time to brainstorm.

I have often gathered story ideas while doing mindless chores like dishes or vacuuming, dusting, or sweeping. Today I was thinking about the fact that it’s time to write my annual horror story, and while not quite as infamous as a barber’s chair, a dentist’s chair can also spark ideas. I mean, I personally maimed the dental hygienist a number of times in the first ten minutes. She didn’t of course know about it as she scraped, polished, and flossed away.

It may seem rather obvious, but how many people make a conscious effort to discipline their mind to transfer situational anxiety into imaginative what-if’s? Not only does it make you forget your emotional reaction to certain events (from fear of heights in a glass elevator to standing in a long line), including boredom (depending on your comfort and the technician’s talent), but it makes much better use of your time.

Writers with deadlines must often come up with a series of ideas in a short period of time, often in between getting them down on paper in story form. Making good use of ‘wasted’ time, is a valuable technique from which everyone can benefit.

There has been a lot written about how fear can prohibit creativity, but perhaps a more useful discussion is how one can transfer fear to others, because let’s face it if it scares you it scares plenty of other people too. If not, you can come up with reasons and examples for the reader to suddenly look at things in a different, more terrified, way.

So the next time you have some ‘wasted’ time on your hands, think big!


 

5 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Having teeth like those would have hurried my molar extraction along yesterday! Idle minds are often wasted. My best ideas always came when driving to work (with no pen and paper handy, of course!) or in the middle of the night to be promptly forgotten before morning. In fact, I mentally wrote my entire speech on writing a series last night at 3 a.m. Hopefully I can still access it this morning and jot it down. Can't wait to sink my teeth into your story!

Mary Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Morgan said...

I applaud you for being able to think about plots in the dentist chair, Elizabeth. Goodness! I have to keep telling myself to breath (not a fan of the dentist), and I have tried to think about any one of my stories I'm working on. Doesn't work, lol! Yet I'm always plotting while cleaning. Great post!

Maureen said...

That's a great way to distract yourself from what's happening, lol. I often get good ideas when I ride on the back of the motorcycle with hubby- or while bicycling- since it's really the only time I can't multi-task and am forced to sit still, lol.

Diane Burton said...

Never thought about brainstorming at the dentist. Great idea. My best time to brainstorm is before going to sleep. I used to just count (by 3s or 7s or backwards) to take my mind off everything that's going on. Now, I'm back to thinking about a story. The fact that I'm thinking about a story tells you the desire to write is slowly returning.