Monday, August 23, 2021

Lost Things by Julie Howard

 

I’m not sure why I feel the urge to write on this topic. However, it’s eating at me and I KNOW I must resurrect some of the things gone missing over time. Maybe all these items have joined forces and are clamoring to be found. If you’re following this blog, you likely believe much in life is unseen.

So here’s my list:

 

-       My old dog’s youthful puppy days. Patch is a 14-year-old sheltie and the sweetest, gentlest creature. I “rescued” him when he was six months old from a family that just couldn’t cope with all they had going on in life and Patch was sorely neglected. He’s been my companion on miles and miles of walks over the years and my constant friend through the writing of ten books. These days, my little friend sleeps most of the day and arthritis keeps him pretty homebound. But he still has quality of life, though his world has grown smaller. He’s asleep at my side as I write and I hope he’s dreaming of those puppy days.



-       A single pearl earring. I have a number of single earrings – with their pair gone missing over the years – and cannot bring myself to toss them away. The pearl earring is one given to me thirty years ago to wear at my wedding. I have a feeling the other one was eaten by the vacuum cleaner. Several houses and two states later, I am still hopeful it will magically reappear. Darn!

-       Years and years of time wasted sleeping. Isn’t sleep the weirdest thing? Scientists still don’t have an understanding of why we need to sleep or what happens in our unconscious minds. There’s the theory, of course, that our minds need to rest but, again, scientist don’t understand why that would be the case. The older I get, the less I want to sleep. Just think of all the things I could do if I gained an extra 7-8 hours a day. Instead, that time is lost. I find myself fighting against falling asleep these days, not wanting to let go of consciousness.

-       So many great ideas – gone! Ever been in the middle of something and a great thought flashes through your mind? Of course, you think, there’s no way you’d forget such an amazing idea – but distractions whittle it away and it vanishes.


-       And finally, unreasonably, I regret the loss of past centuries. So many amazing people have lived and passed. Pristine lakes fouled, forests burned or harvested. Can you imagine how stunning the Great Sphinx would appear newly constructed and with its nose still on, the vast Great Plains teeming with buffalo, the silence of the world before cars, planes and phones? I don’t mean I want to live in the past; I mean it would be lovely to open a door and step into past times, to keep all things with us always.

I’d love to hear your addition to this list. If you could open a door to visit any time or any lost thing, what would be behind that door?

Thanks for reading!

Julie Howard's latest book is Spirit in Time, which appropriately is a time-travel historical fiction. 

5 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

I so agree with your list. I have a drawer full of solo items from pairs: one glove, one sock, one earring . . . At my age, I would add: Why did I come into this room? Train of thought has left the building and never arrived at the station.

Maureen said...

Great post! I received a new digital photo frame for my birthday last year and filled it with lots of photos over many years and it sits near my desk. I find myself looking at the photos of my daughters as infants and toddlers (now 19), family over the years, and trips and do wonder where all the time has gone. I suppose it is not time lost, but it still makes me nostalgic.

Jessica E. Subject said...

I have a dog in the same state as yours. She's sleeping by my side, and I miss our longer works, and the time we could play rough in the backyard. We both ache now.

And I lost a cassette tape many years ago in a move. It has my cousin, my brother, and I singing various songs together. I have no idea where it went, and I kind of miss it. Though, I don't have anything to play it on now.

As for forgetting things, doorways have a way of stealing your purpose for going there as soon as you walk through them. It's a proven fact. LOL

Great post!

Tena Stetler said...

I miss lost friends. Over the years in a military town friends move on across the country across the world. Some I’ve been able to keep in touch with, others have gone missing. I miss their visit, their laughter and our time together.

Diane Burton said...

Great post, Julie. My thoughts on sleep are a little different. Often, I can't get to sleep, despite being so tired I missed the last 15 minutes of whatever episode I'm watching. Then I lie awake, wishing the sandman would visit. I miss my dogs who've crossed the rainbow bridge. Mostly I miss my mom and wish that Alzheimer's hadn't stolen precious time from us.