Sunday, November 20, 2022

An Introduction by D.V. Stone


This is my first blog post here on Paranormal Romantics, and I’m so excited. I want to thank Marilyn Barr for suggesting it. I do adore her books, don’t you?

Okay, let’s get the introduction out of the way. Who the heck is D. V. Stone, and why is she here?

Let me start by saying I’m in love with being in love. All of my books, even my mid-grade paranormal, have a touch of romance. I tend to roll my eyes (secretly) when someone says, “I love classic literature, not the fluffy romance stuff.”

Of course, we know Romeo and Juliette and Gone with the Wind. Has anyone ever heard of Dr. Zhivago? Pride and Prejudice? Wuthering Heights? Snort and guffaw. All right, they may be obvious, so how about, The Great Gatsby, Dune, or The Sun Also Rises? Love makes the worlds go around. Honestly, I’m disappointed if there’s not a bit of romance in a book. Come on, even Harry Potter had romance.

Let’s get back to my original question. Who the heck is D. V. Stone, and why is she here?

Well, she’s sort of eclectic. Some “experts” say to brand yourself. Find your niche and stay there. This “non-expert” throws her head back and releases a great big MWAHAHA. I’ve never been that person. Since I enjoy reading everything from cereal boxes to the dictionary, why would I only write one thing?

Thus, I am a multi-genre author encompassing fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, suspense, mid-grade, and soon a historical action adventure with paranormal elements. The common elements in my writing are probably style, heat level (which is mild), and my often-weird sense of humor.

What type of paranormal has gotten me here? Hmm, let’s see, maybe you can help me figure it out because isn’t fantasy paranormal and visa-versa? I’ve gone to the Google gods, and I don’t think they really know.

I did find this

The term paranormal has existed in the English language since at least 1920. The word consists of two parts: para and normal. The definition implies that the scientific explanation of the world around us is normal, and anything that is above, beyond, or contrary to that is para.

In Lake Unami, my contemporary novellas, there are guardian angels. I think I’m okay there.


Mid-Grade Agent Carter has shape-shifters and legendary folk beasts, so I’m okay with paranormal here as well.

The Impact series is straight-up contemporary romantic suspense. No confusion.

A work in progress is more action adventure, but it does have a mystical mortar & pestle as well as the ghost of a pirate. Safe in paranormal.

Here’s where it might get tricky.


My Shield-Mates series is about shape-shifters. That seems pretty straightforward, right? Nope. It’s set in a fantasy world and also has innate magic, that is, not done by spells, wands, etc., only enhanced by certain herbs. It’s outside of the normal, so paranormal, right?

Lastly, my WIP, Kingdom at a Crossroad, is definitely a fantasy. But isn’t that too outside of the normal?

Chime in. Let’s have a conversation. Where do you stand? Why? Is there a wrong answer? I don’t think so, though I may be swayed. In the meantime, I plan to continue writing whatever floats my boat.

 

 

8 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Welcome, DV! You are in the right place. We're all a little bit off the normal spectrum. Like you, I write in multiple genres/names but paranormal is my favorite child. Probably because I'm a control freak and it's my world/my rules. Can't wait to get to know your writing.

D. V. Stone said...

Thank you so much! I'm happy to be here. Anytime I can discuss books, whether reading or writing, it's my happy place. D.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Great to have you on Paranormal Romantics, DV! I think many authors write different genres, whether under the same name or a different one. As for Paranormal, I think there are so many genres and subgenres that fit under that blanket term.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Great post!
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jessica šŸ™ƒ

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by, Pam.šŸ¤—

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Welcome, DV. Interesting to see your excellent understanding of the classics! I love them too. All of them!

Keri Kruspe said...

I'm a little late to the party, but welcome! Love your article and I'm looking forward to more.