Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Day of the Dead, Sugar High, and the Artemis Mission by Diane Burton


Sometimes I think I've led a sheltered life. I never heard of Day of the Dead until the James Bond movie came out a few years ago. 




Then, my grandsons convinced me to watch Coco. Cute movie about family. 







This Mexican holiday began yesterday and ends tomorrow. The belief is that the souls of deceased loved ones visit the land of the living during this time. People celebrate with food and music in graveyards, to entice the souls to come forth. Of course, there are parades. Fort Lauderdale, San Antonio, and Tucson have the largest celebrations in the United States.


Is anybody in a sugar coma? Since we haven't given out candy since before covid, I overbought this year. I used to send candy to school for the teachers to pass out whenever. But with so many children deathly allergic that's not a good idea. Hubs and I don't need the leftovers. I'm sure the TV station will have drop off points. Did you have many trick-or-treaters?



(Image credit: Gregg Newton/AFP via Getty Images)

 Last month, I wrote about the Artemis 1 launch that was delayed. Here's an update. On Friday, the moon rocket will roll out to the launchpad. NASA engineers have performed tests and repairs to prepare the launch for November 14th, at the earliest. Hope this time it's ready.

Hope you all have a good month. If you're doing NaNoWriMo, good luck to you.


4 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

we had about 30 kids but none of the older teens we used to get. Still decorated the house to the hilt and enjoyed the costume parade of those who came and the chance to talk to the neighbors who brought little ones by. Sigh. Just not the same as it used to be. I'm wondering if it was because there was no party at the schools. We used to get a big run off from that since all levels are only blocks away. Now . . . time to take the decorations down.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Happy November, Diane!

We handed out for the first time since before Covid, too. While we never got a lot before then, many new families have moved into our neighborhood, so I expected to get more. For the first bit, we barely got any. It was damp and on the verge of rain. But, in the last half hour, when it had actually started to rain, we got the majority of the kids. Still not a lot, but more than before.

Oh, I am excited for Artemis! *fingers crossed* everything goes as planned this time!

Maureen said...

We had a good bit of kids- prob 70 -80 or more? Hubs and I didn't dress up this year. I couldn't get motivated on a Monday night and don't do as much since my daughters are away at college. We do have some candy left over but only because I was being stingy initially with how much to allow since I didn't want to run out.

Tena Stetler said...

We had 35 tricker treaters, gave hands full of candy bars and had only a bit of candy. I loved that movie Coco. It was fun. Hopefully the launch will go off without a hitch.