Sunday, November 13, 2022

Doomed to be Monster Fudgers by Marilyn Barr

Like it, love it, hate it, or struggle to understand it…but monster romance and monster erotica are taking BookTok by storm. Hashtags like #monsterlovers, #monsterfudgers, and #monsterromance have millions to billions of videos made by authors, readers, and fanatics. This new subgenre of fantasy and paranormal romance is led by the Queen of Alien Romance, Ruby Dixon. Her Ice Planet Barbarian book series was first released in 2015 and changed the way romance readers felt about men with horns and tails…or did she? Below I have listed my top 7 warning signs that we were destined to be fated mates to heroes with scales, horns, tails, furry pecs, skull heads, tree limb embraces, and alien peens.

1. Swamp Thing – Abby Arcane first appeared in the Swamp Thing comic book in the 1970s. In comics and movies of this era, monsters kidnapping females due to unrequited love was a popular theme. Some of my favorite vintage monsters who did this are King Kong, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the Mummy. Abby Arcane not only lives in the swamp willingly but also falls in love with the monster after failed relationships with the scientists trying to kill him. They have a unique “wedding” in the comic series and hybrid children.

Doing my best Swamp Thing impersonation with my favorite Swamp Thing Comic Cover

2. Planet of the Apes—Whether I refer to the television series of the 1970s, the 2001 film remake, or the early 2010s spin-off trilogy, Planet of the Apes leads the way in Cryptid romances. In this movie franchise, the cryptids are the technologically advanced species, and the humans are the primitive species. Ari, the scientist and Leo Davidson’s love interest, has extinct Australopithecus facial features but the technological skills of a futuristic humanoid. While the pair share a steamy on-screen kiss, they do not end with a happily ever after.

Smash or Pass? Planet of the Apes

3. Star Trek—The goal of the creators of Star Trek was to create a future where all races lived in harmony, but they didn’t stop at human races. What alien princess didn’t share a kiss with Captain Kurk when he was played by William Shatner? While most of the Star Trek alien love interests were humans with a different language, there were a few monster romances. Fans loved watching Jadzia and Worf fall in love despite her being a human and he a Klingon. Not even the language barrier was enough to stop the power of intergalactic love.

4. Thundercats—I loved this 1980s Saturday morning cartoon where cat-like people were superheroes. Gang leader Lion-o shared steamy kisses with Cheetara before she ditched him for Tygra. After rewatching the episodes where Cheetara helps Tygra practice with his whip as an adult, I don’t blame her for choosing the gravelly-voiced tiger hybrid over the goodie-two-shoes Lion-O. However, Lion-O soon rebounds and marries WilyKit. This is a large age-gap pairing since she’s obviously a child when she joins the Thundercats under Lion-O’s leadership. Ah hem…

5. Beast from Beauty and the Beast—Whenever I say I’m writing a “monster romance,” I’m asked if it’s “like Beauty and the Beast” from the 1990s movie by Disney. This one slipped under the censors’ noses because ultimately, Belle breaks the spell and lives happily ever after with a human prince. However, they missed one vital part of the curse. Beast couldn’t tell Belle that he was a cursed prince. This means Belle was ready to commit her life to him in Beast form. Yeah, that romantic ballroom dancing scene takes on a whole new meaning when…

We didn't stand a chance... Characters from Disney + 

6. Gargoyles (Disney TV show)—Around the same time as Beauty and the Beast was hitting the big screen. Disney was inspiring monster romances on the small screen too. Gargoyles was an “after-school cartoon” favorite in my house while I was growing up in the 1990s. These monsters protect modern-day New York City just like they protected Scotland in their past. While ColdStone and ColdFire are a gargoyle-to-gargoyle pairing, many of the beloved couples are gargoyle to human. Who could forget Brooklyn with Abby or Broadway with Angela? Rewatching this cartoon on Disney+ as an adult made me wonder if my parents knew what I was watching after school…and why they were surprised when I chose to write first shifter romance and then…

Could I be part of the gang with this TikTok filter?

7. Shifter Romance in paranormal romance—Starting with The Wolfman and maturing to Sam in The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris, the shifter romance genre exploded in the early 2000s. Some of my favorites are written by Lora Leigh, Christine Warren, Kat Kinney, Elisha Bugg, and Christine Feehan. I even added to the genre with my Strawberry Shifters contemporary paranormal romance series and Dance to a Wylder Beat a bear-shifter western. From hummingbirds to donuts, dinosaurs to pets, and balloon animals to zoo animals, it seems everything you can think of has been written into a shifter romance where the main character spends half their time as a human and the other half as ‘other.’ Some shifters can change completely into an animal form such as those in the Strawberry shifters while others live as hybrids like in Thundercats or Lora Leigh’s shifter romance.

Find the Strawberry Shifters on Amazon here.

And so here we are, pushing the envelope of romance once again. Just like The Beast, these monsters find love without a human transformation. My latest book, Cuddling My Chuchunya (preorder for 99 cents here), is about a Siberian Snow Monster who finds that the anthropologist he rescues is a lady looking for a monster like him. Dr. Vera Thompson grew up obsessed with the extinct Australopithecus humanoids from our past but never thought she would have the chance to speak to a cryptid like those in her books…

Are you ready to travel to ice caves under the Siberian permafrost?

Her obsession stands before her, not as an extinct Australopithecus, but as a living chuchunya…an abominable snow monster who promises a lifetime of devotion in hiding…

Dr. Vera Thompson

I am one reindeer sleigh ride away from academic notoriety and the corpse excavation which will catapult my career from junior anthropology fellow to tenured professor. Crossing the Siberian tundra is not for the faint of heart but with modern technology like a GPS, cell phone signal, and all-climate winter gear, I’ll reach the suspected Australopithecus body unearthed by the melting permafrost. One more day of dodging methane gas pockets under the ice and my life will change forever…

Artyom

The hairless ones swarmed around my brother’s body like flies from the southern land. Tradition dictates his next of kin perform his last rites, so I follow the erratic driving of the hairless ones from a foreign land. If these invaders discover my chuchunya clan, I fear we are too few to defend our territory under the ice. I don’t understand why the sled driver throws his passenger into a ground popper, but the cruel deed activates my coupling (dushevnayasvyazinstincts to heat my body to an inferno…the first sign of a soul bond…

Stuck between loyalty to his clan’s secrecy and his biology, will Artyom trade injured Vera for Denis’s body? Will Vera choose modern conveniences in Ohio or stay in Siberia with the chuchunya who promises to cherish her? In such an unforgiving landscape, will Artyom prove his dushevnayasvyaz by pushing her toward an easier life, even if her leaving breaks both their hearts?


Cuddling my Chuchunya will release on 1/13/2023 so preorder your copy for 99c here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLCZ7BT7/


7 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Ever since watching Swamp Thing, I've had a "thing" for monster romances. Talk about the ultimate from different worlds!

Marilyn Barr said...

Absolutely! I wanted to escape o the swamp like Abby too!

Maureen said...

I've never heard the term Monster Fudgers, lol. Great post!

Nightingale said...

I've never heard that term either. This post was a learning experience for me. I know someone who has written monster romance, but not Monster Fudgers as far as I know. Enjoyable post.

Jessica E. Subject said...

I don't think monster romance is new per se, as I remember reading it back in 2010-2012 when I first started reading indie books and ebooks. But, I think it has found a new audience through new forms of social media. Star Trek, Thundercats, Beauty and the Beast, and Gargoyles were definitely some of my favourite show growing up, so I do understand the love of the subgenre!

Tena Stetler said...

Monster Romance I've never heard of. Seems it's split off of the paranormal romance. Gargoyles were some of my favorites. Interesting post. Thanks for sharing!

Diane Burton said...

Fascinating topic, with great examples. I've never heard of Monster Fudgers, either. That's what's great about this blog. I learn something every post.