Monday, November 7, 2022

Getting the music to fit the mood of the story (chapter) ~ Post by Author Jessica E. Subject

Hello everyone! Can you believe we're in November already?

One of the last things on my list of items to accomplish (for my author self) this year is to release the first book in a new series. And while I'm currently writing that book, I know it's not going to be ready before the end of the year.

I did want to share some insight into the story though. So, I'm going to share my writing playlist. While I have a general writing playlist that I use, I decided to create one specifically for the story I'm writing, something I haven't done in years.

For this playlist, I'm not only trying to set the mood of the story through music, but also trying to tell the story using music. I'm trying to find songs that match the plot for each scene and/or chapter.

While the playlist is not finished, it may give you a general idea as to what might happen. Maybe. LOL Check it out below...




Do you like book playlists? As a reader, do you listen to them while you read the book? As an author, do you use them when you write?

Wishing you many great books to read!
See you next month!



6 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

I used to do playlists all the time. I don't know when I got out of the habit. Probably when I retired. It was my favorite thing to do during my work lunch hours. Hmmmm... Maybe I should try it again.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Go for it, Nancy! Yeah, I can't remember when I stopped doing it, either. I make playlists for other things all the time. So, I decided to try one again with this new series.

Maureen said...

I love music, but I don't usually listen to it while I write. I sometimes have a song or two that makes me think of the story but don't play it while writing. I made playlists for my recent series at the publisher's request.
The only time I really relied on music for writing inspiration was when I wrote my Christmas novel.
Good luck with your new series!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Maureen! I have to have music I like on in the background most of the time. Silence is often very distracting for me. But I also think it is fun to make playlists that relate to my stories.

Diane Burton said...

I can't listen to music that has lyrics when I write. No or foreign lyrics is okay. It doesn't interfere with my concentration. I've never made a playlist. Do you listen to the piece while you're writing a chapter or do you do this afterward? Do you make a playlist for yourself or for the readers? Interesting list of songs you shared. Thanks and best wishes for your new series.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you, Diane! For me, whether the music has lyrics or not, or what language it's in, doesn't make a difference. Sometimes I can find it really distracting, and other times, it's exactly what I need. I use my playlists before I write and while I write. I don't need them to write, but if I'm having trouble getting into a scene, I find the music really helps to set the mood. In fact, I have a playlist just for writing intimate scenes. The playlist is for me, but I hope by sharing it with readers, it gives them a peek into my writing process, and the story itself.