Thursday, April 14, 2011

Being a Research Nerd Rocks

Research.

To some writers, it's the bane of their existence. For others, not so much. Personally, I love it. I love immersing myself in something and learning everything I can about it, even if it's only a minute detail in a book.

For instance, in one of my books, my characters are in a head-on collision with a speeding 18-wheeler (don't worry, they're vampires). I actually sought out videos of car/truck crashes, talked to Mustang enthusiasts and learned the ins and outs of that year Mustang to learn what sort of condition the vehicle would be in after a violent crash like that.

With that kind of research, you would think maybe it's a vital turning point in the book.

Nope, not really. Now, don't get me wrong, it's important for the storyline for the accident to happen, they're trying to shake off the bad guys. But the crash is only, at the most, a half a page in length?

For the most part, anytime research is required for one of my stories, this is the similar pattern I follow. I'm a firm believer that I shouldn't attempt writing something if I don't have the slightest clue. Yes, I'm a writer, I'm allowed to make stuff up. Don't get me wrong, I do! And I have a great amount of fun doing so, but there are some things that I feel as if I should have a basic understanding of before I put pen to paper.

Bottom line is that research is a necessary part of writing, just like some of the "least favorite" things we also have to do as writers. Synopsis anyone? *g*

No comments: