Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Interview with Sara Brookes

Hey everyone. So sometime earlier in the year I was asked by the amazing Sara Brookes (who by the way isn't just talented but one of the nicest authors you will ever chat with) to look at a book she had completed and was thinking of submitting for publication. I was honored. I'm a big fan of her writing. Entering the world she created was an incredible experience, I loved the book and I've never forgotten it. I'm thrilled to announce that last night, Hardware, released with Liquid Silver Books.
So, today I'm interviewing Paranormal Romantic's very own Sara Brookes about her new release Hardware.
For the record, I have read, and loved Hardware, but for the people out 
there who have not yet read it can you give you a brief overview?

First, thanks for having me here, Rebecca and for being one of early
readers for this book earlier in the year. Your input was invaluable.
Now, on to Hardware. Here's the blurb:

Women aren’t supposed to be geeks. They aren’t supposed to fix computer
networks with expert ease either, but tell that to Allison—the resident
computer guru in the small town of Gatlin Falls, Virginia.

Enthralled by watching her work so effortlessly, Patrick agrees to
accompany Allison for a night at the movies so he can learn more about
her. Even though he’s a perfect gentleman who prides himself on knowing
exactly what a woman wants—and when she wants it—he can’t keep away from
her.

One scorching kiss in a dark theater changes everything.

Allison quickly learns Patrick’s definition of hardware is vastly
different than her own and she allows him guide her on a path where she
discovers new heights of passion she’s never imagined before. Taken by
the calm she feels when she is around him, she is pulled into a world
where there is comfort in wearing a pair of cuffs and sanctuary in
accepting a collar.


Hardware is a departure for you from the Paranormal. What made you
decide to do a pure Contemporary?


This one was more like it chose me. I was in the middle of working on
one of my sci-fi stories when the idea for Hardware came to me. It's
rare that I abadon a book in the middle of it like that, but the desire
to write this one was too strong to ignore. I learned a long time ago to
just go with where you gut takes you because it's done it for a reason.
I thought it would be easier to write something where I didn't have to
worry about world building "rules" like with paranormal or sci-fi, but I
was wrong. This brought a different set of "rules".


This book is edgy, the characters are strong and they feel real. Did you
have a hard time getting them to their happy ending?


Nope. This was one of those books that seemed to write itself and I was
just along for the ride. They told me their story and I just made it
happen on paper.

Some of the other characters, the people on the sideline were nearly as
fascinating as the main couple. Any chance we'll get to see them again?

The story has been set up to allow for other books, specially three of
Patrick's friends. Not a series, per say. More like other books that can
fit into this world.


Tell me what it was like venturing into the BDSM world with this book.

Oh wow. Something that was completely unexpected, that's for certain! It
was something I'd touched on before. but never to this level. In one of
my paranormal books, Flash of Dark, it was out of necessity for one of
the characters. It wasn't a lifestyle choice however. I never stepped
into it as much as I did before Hardware. I actually had to have a few
conversations with people that I knew lived this kind of lifestyle to
really feel like I had a handle on it enough to write about it.


Whats up for you next?

My next release, Midnight's Shadow, will be out in early 2011. It's
actually the book I was working on that I stopped to write Hardware. LOL
As far as what I'm writing right now, apparently all the information I
gathered in writing Hardware wasn't done with me and I'm about 75%
complete with another contemporary erotic romance, also dealing with
BDSM. I hope to have it written and polished enough to submit for
publishing consideration by the end of the year.

Thanks again for having me here!

3 comments:

Sara Brookes said...

Aw, thank you so much for your kind words, Rebecca. It was an honor for you to do the early reads on it. :^)

Rebecca Royce said...

Sara,
I'm so excited you are getting to share this with everyone!

Unknown said...

Just finished the book and loved it. Looking forward to more... maybe a book that focuses on Elana.